Sending out an iMAC abroad

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dimasok, Dec 19, 2010.

1. dimasok macrumors newbie

Guys I need to send an iMAC to ISRAEL. I was quoted 500 and 600 by FedEx, UPS and Purolator (even though some guy told me he sent a 10,000 dollar machine for 200 dollars through Mail Boxes but the website points to UPS now), and 340 through Canada Post by plane and 140 by boat (a month or two is how long they said it would take) and DHL wasn't able to calculate my price online at all. I heard Apple has a gifting service so i was thinking about returning this imac and buying one online BUT it turns out i need to use a credit card and still reside in U.S.?!

I don't really know what to do. I have my own cardboard box where I put this 11.5kg piece into and I need it at its destination sooner than a month that's for sure.. last time i sent an ipad and an iphone there it took a week, i paid 98 dollars but unfortunately customs there charged me approximately 300 dollars even though i pointed out it was a gift and declared it at lesser value than i bought them both (half less). So I can only IMAGINE how much they would charge for this... i was thinking of declaring it a refurbished product and perhaps putting like 200-300 dollars value on it?

So i don't know who to send it through (most likely canada post) and have no idea how to declare it's value (given my experience, i don't even want to put anything extra above the 100 dollar insurance canada post provides by default).

Any advices?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol the iMac is making aliyah? Um.... Are you flying to Israel or just sending the iMac to someone in Israel? I know how expensive Apple products are there, so I completely understand your motive to do this... I am thinking maybe you should fly there, and check the iMac in as baggage (if you are going there yourself).

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Customs will probably disregard anything you write about it's marked-down value and calculate duties and taxes on the as-new price. They may also get narky and hold it pending fines for what they might see as attempting to evade duty. Be honest in your declaration of its value and it should breeze through if they agree with your assessment of the price.

If it is a genuinely second-hand mac, give the purchase date along with proof of purchase and they will be more understanding.

4. Trinite macrumors regular

I'm glad someone has asked this question. I'm faced with the same issue, more or less: I live in Hungary, and Apple stuff is insanely expensive here. I'm from the US, and if I were buying a MB or MBP, I'd just buy one there and carry it back. But I want to get an iMac. I've checked with several airlines, and the 21.5" is just too big to make it as carry-on.

I'd pretty much decided that my best option was going to Vienna, where Apple products are a bit cheaper (though still way more than in the States). But maybe I've given up too easily?

Has anyone else tried shipping an iMac from the US to Europe? Is it at all worth it, cost-wise? And yeah, customs can kill you. If I buy it in the US, and am shipping to myself, there shouldn't be any customs fees though, right? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

And AlphaDogg (or anyone else), can you really check something as fragile as a computer as baggage on an airline?? That would certainly solve the problem, but it's hard to believe....