Sending Photo from Camera Roll Always Results in Error

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by rf61985, Mar 2, 2013.

1. rf61985, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

rf61985 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

Can anyone try this and see if it happens to you too. Every time I want to send a photo straight from my camera roll, it never sends unless it is an iMessage. If I am sending it to anyone that doesn't use iMessage it always fails because it tries to send it as an iMessage first. I noticed that the send button is always blue. So here is how I replicate it:

1. Take pic
    2. Click the share button and click message
    3. Try to send it to someone without an iPhone
    4. Check the message to see if it failed.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, I have send as SMS off in the iMessage options.

2. lelisa13p, Mar 2, 2013

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Are you serious?

Of course it will fail if you have SMS messaging turned OFF.

SMS is also the backup method if iMessage isn't available on the receiving end.

3. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

READ THE POST! I am trying to send it to someone that doesn't use iMessage or an iPhone. Doesn't make a difference if I have SEND AS SMS if iMessage fails on. It shouldn't be trying to send my picture as an iMessage to begin with since the person isn't on an iOS device. It should just send it as a regular MMS. Make sense yet?

4. lelisa13p, Mar 2, 2013

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Keep your shirt on. I read your post. You should have iMessage turned ON if you ever send iMessages to other iPhone users. You also should have Send as SMS turned ON. Both work together regarding iMessage; SMS is insurance that the text is sent even if the receiver doesn't use Apple. (Of course, MMS should be turned ON.)

Have you tried sending the pix while having all three of those items turned ON?

I you turn all items ON and the message still fails, then something else is wrong.

5. chrisu91 macrumors regular

The issue is it does not verify whether the recipient uses iMessage or not and defaults to it instead of checking the number for activation. If you were to send a text to a regular phone it wouldn't attempt sending as an iMessage.

6. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback and I get what you're saying and to answer your question it does work with all three turned on and the reason I keep the SMS backup off is because I iMessage a lot to my family internationally and don't want it to send regular SMS texts. My normal SMS is on always of course but I believe it's like the person above said.

The phone does not seem to verify whether or not the recipient I intend to send the photo to is using iMessage or not. Just assumes its an iMessage and that's when it fails. I hope that makes sense. It's not a huge issue but I'm wondering if its just a bug I have that a clean restore would fix or iff it's something everyone is experiencing. Thanks.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It should be checking, but I cannot tell you why it's not. However, if you want to use iMessage with your international friends but without the worry it'll fail-over to standard SMS is to use their iMessage email address and not their phone number.

8. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

I tried restoring the phone as new and it still doesn't check to see if it is in a iMessage or not. But am I the only one this is happening to? Just as a reminder:

With iMessage on but send as SMS backup off:

1. open camera roll
    2. click on a picture and click the share button
    3. Choose message and send to a non iphone person
    4. Check to see if it has failed in your messages.

Maybe I should send feedback to apple.

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

It might help if you ask apple? Although they may not be able to help much but it seems to be more of a server sided issue than the device itself seeing how restoring didn't help

Maybe it's something to do with your iTunes account?

10. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

I've attached a photo (first time. I hope I do it right) about what I mean. As you can see, it says iMessage on it despite the fact that it should just be a regular MMS.

Attached Files:

11. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

It appears that your work around for this would be to turn OFF iMessage when sending MMS to non-iPhone users in order to eliminate the conflict. It's a PITA to be forced to self-regulate that function but at least (until you find the cause) it's a workable solution in the short-term.

Have you posted this issue over at the Apple forum? Also, have you searched there to see if anyone is having the issue? Lovely photo, BTW. :)

12. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! And yeah, I just posted it. But I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue as well or if its just me. As I said, restoring and setting up as new did not help. Too weird. For now I'll just leave send as SMS on

13. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

If, and when, you do find out what's causing this and more importantly, how to fix it, please post your results in this thread in case someone else happens to find himself/herself in the same unhappy predicament.

Personally, I hope that the Apple forum will yield some results. :)

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. rf61985, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on AT&T. It used to work fine before. Basically it fails, but then if I resend it works. Also, if I turn on send as SMS if iMessage fails it works after failing on its own.

Tried restoring to new and didn't help.

16. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Why not just leave this setting on if it fixes it?

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

Is it only one particular contact, or is it for anyone? If it is only one person maybe they recently stopped using iMessage. Try deleting your old conversation history with them.

18. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone without an ios device. And I leave it off because I iMessage a lot internationally. And besides, I just want to know if anyone else experiences this.

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

I never noticed it before, but oddly enough this same thing happens to me too. I leave send as SMS off to avoid charges for international texts just like you do. When I try to send a photo from the photo app to a non-iPhone it fails to send the same way yours does.
    I have noticed the send button has always been blue when sending from the photos app, but I don't think I have ever had this problem with pictures failing to send in the past. I recently updated to 6.1.1. Maybe it is a recent bug.

20. rf61985 thread starter macrumors member

I guess it's good to know its not only happening to me. Hopefully it gets fixed soon!

21. dave420, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2013

dave420 macrumors 65816

Yes, I confirmed it on both my phones as well. I'd recommend just sending the photos from the Messages app. That way they should send correctly the first time. Or if you want to use the Photos app just remember to manually tell it to resend the message. The Photos app is quicker for sending multiple photos.
    It is helpful to know that these messages will fail every time. I may have noticed it once or twice, but not enough to realize it was failing 100% of the time. Most people I text use iMessage.

22. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

It won't unless you voice this over to Apple ... this is not Apple forum ... and if they deem this is how they want it to be then good luck banging their doors :D

23. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Bumping this thread as I'm having the exact same annoying issue. Anyone have any other suggestions? I do have Send as SMS turned off, but I'm just wondering if there's any way to make the OS check the person's number when sending a photo from the Photos app (it does the same thing when sending a link from Safari - that is, it sends as an iMessage no matter what).

I'm running 6.1.2 jailbroken, and am hoping for a tweak for that, perhaps.

24. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Only recently I got my plan upgraded to a unlimited SMS/MMS package.

In the past I would have MMS and Send as SMS off, just to be safe I would ...

1) Compile a MSG and wait until iMessage detects the user on the other end
    2) Copy and Paste the photo in the MSG, send it off

What I've learned was:
    Even with Send as SMS off; if the person on the other end has their iPhone off or standing around a spotty coverage area, the photo is idling in Apple's server until the person can smoothly receive it. It's all in the MMS settings in this case, my normal messages would be sent as SMS.

Personally I've never shared the photo as MSG, always wanted to avoid MMS charges if the detection went wrong somehow. One of the previous iOS 5 builds, if you use Siri to message someone and regardless if they're on iMessage or not, it would be compiled as iMessage. If you have Send as SMS off, it would be sitting in your MSG app with a BIG red X and you'll be wondering why this person hasn't replied to you, happened to me a lot. LOL