Sending photos directly from Camera not possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desertman, Aug 2, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Is sending photos directly from Camera not possible?

To me it seems that I first have to switch from Camera to Photos before I can send a photo via email to someone.

Is there a way to send photos directly after shooting directly from Camera?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, once you take a picture, click the photo in the lower left hand corner of the screen. From there, tap the share sheet icon on the bottom left side, and send using whichever method you choose.

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can click the photo. However, there is no share icon on the next screen. On the bottom, it is empty on the left side, it shows "Edit" in the middle, and it shows the trash can on the right side.

The share icon is only visible when I switch to Photos and look at the photo that I just took there.

And, by the way, the same is also true on my iPad. It looks a little different there, but I don't have a share icon when looking at a photo right after taking it - I first have to switch to Photos when I want to sent the photo somewhere.

4. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

By any chance are you taking photos without unlocking the phone? When taking photos that way there is no share button, but if you unlock the phone then open the camera app there is a share button.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you opening the camera from the lock screen? Is your phone password protected?

I have a share button on the bottom left when my phone is unlocked, but it's not there when I access the camera from the lock screen.

6. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I am talking about taking photos by using the little camera icon on the lock screen. Thanks for letting me know that this is the reason for not having a share icon - I do have the share icon when first unlocking the phone and then opening Camera and then taking a photo. (And I don't have a password on my iPhone.)

Is there an intelligent reason why this is so? It certainly is preventing quick snapshots and quick emails with such snapshots.

7. techspin macrumors 6502a

For security

8. desertman, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meaning what?

I don't have a password on my iPhone and that means that anybody could send emails from it anyway. Not being able to send quick snapshots with a quick email does not make any sense to me ... but maybe somebody can explain the deeper sense to me ...

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Is the way Apple's OS is set up. It is to support security even though you do not think so. Even if you were not using it.

That is the deeper sense.

10. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Enabling access to email accounts and contact numbers from the lock screen is denied for security reasons. Most people have a lock on their phones. This is one of the instances where Android is a bit better in that you can remove the lock screen altogether if you don't have a security code enabled.

11. desertman, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree in the case of a pass code protected device (and I kind of understand now the logic behind this behavior). It would be nice if people without a pass code could disable this feature.

From the about 50 people with iPhones or iPads that I know and sometimes work with only very few have a pass code on their devices. I unlock my screens probably more than one hundred times per day and it would drive me crazy if I had to punch in a pass code every time.

Would be interesting to have a poll about this but unfortunately I seem not to be able to create one.

12. cynics macrumors G4

If you unlock your iPhone hundreds of times a day you can set the password to activate after 15 minutes of being locked. You'll rarely see it the passcode screen.

As far as a poll goes you'll find the majority of people here use a passcode as there as been polls in the past. Since TouchID even more people use it. I use a passcode and I think its a good idea for everyone however its up to you. Of all the people I know only one didnt use a passcode and his work buddies posted something on Facebook from his unattended phone, so now he does.

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Of course people are defending this stupidity. If this was really about "security", you wouldn't be able to access the camera from the lock screen. Anyway, you can send a photo from a lock screen shot in the iOS 8 beta.

14. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds great. Hopefully it stays that way.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

This is called a "middle ground". Maybe IOS 8 will have an option to disable camera in lock screen. But the method it is implemented still allows for security and the ability to use the camera easily. I suppose someone could steal the phone and take unsavory pictures in an effort to frame the owner, but it is what it is; a compromise between security and unusability.

16. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've never had a password on my phone and my phone is always being used by co workers, friends, family etc. If you have to be worried by the people in your life doing something stupid with your phone, you have the wrong people in your life.

17. Azzin macrumors 68040

You don't mind a thief having access to all of your personal data then?

18. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

19. chupachup macrumors 6502

The problem is when your phone is stolen or lost the other person has access to everything. At least to unlock you should have one.

20. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I have to have a password because I use my 5S for work and my employer requires password locks. I also have a two-year old that knows how to snap photos from the lock screen and send random, nonsensical texts. I'm glad Apple doesn't let her do both at the same time :)

----------

Hopefully, it only allows this if there is no passcode enabled. I like knowing that the only communication that can go out of my phone when locked is an emergency call.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

But in terms of security what harm can one really do by only having access to the camera? Access to existing photos is still not allowed so at most the intruder could just take new pictures with the phone.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

The only thing is taking unsavory photos that can be used against you by law enforcement. Additionally dialing 911 randomly by a ne'er do well, could lead to some issues by LE.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Interesting that they actually did (or will do essentially) something about it in iOS 8.