Sending SMS sound

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dorqiekat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know how to disable the sound when sending SMS? That blowing tone when sending and receiving while you're in the window. The only sound I want to hear for SMS is for new text, not text I send.

I tried searching the forum but I didn't find anything to this issue, if I missed something, sorry.

iphone 2g, firmware 2.2.1 unlocked and jailbroken

Thanks.

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Just get WinSCP and ssh into the phone and move/remove the sound file... easy as pie....

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm glad it is easy as pie. I'm new the iPhone. Can out tell me more information about these programs and where I can get them?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't have an iPhone, but on my iPod there are options in Settings > General > Sounds. I expect that you can turn it off from there.

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the settings there is only alerts for new SMS that you can control. New SMS sound is fine, I prefer it, but when you send a text it makes a noise.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, there's no setting to stop that. You'll have to SSH it, and honestly ... I have no idea how to do that. haha

7. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

WINscp is a program. Its free. Im sure u can find it thru a popular search engine. I have a PC so i dont know if ur using mac or pc. U will need a jailbroken phone. Install ssh and go from there.

8. awoodvine macrumors newbie

SSH into your iPhone and rename SentMessage.caf which is located in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ to something else. If you don't know how to SSH into your iPhone then there is a good video on Youtube that shows you how to do it.

9. neenja macrumors 6502

worked for me. thanks! i renamed the file to SentMessage.bak