Sending sound to reciever has stopped working..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Narien, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Narien macrumors member

Alright, so I own a sandybridge MBA, with mountain lion on it. Recently I've been having a problem (could be related to a recent patch, could be something completely different).

So I normaly use a hdmi adapter with my thunderbolt in order to view movies on my tv by streaming them from my pc to my air and playing them on XBMC, however this issue seems to be "global" in the sense that no sound gets transported to the tv/reciever.

This has always worked just as you would imagine it would, but now it doesn't, and the only way I can find to temporarily fix the problem is to reboot my air.

Any help would be appreciated towards fixing this problem...

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Which version of Mountain Lion do you have installed? ( i.e. 10.8.4 , 10.8.5 , etc )

3. Narien thread starter macrumors member

it's the latest one, 10.8.5. I did some googling of my own and did a SMC reset (at least I think I did, not much feedback from the procedure). Anyhow, it appears to have worked, but I wont know for sure after I've tested it for a day or two without problems.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

An SMC reset is what I was going to suggest you do, it should have fixed your problem.

The SMC (System Management Controller) controls a number of the Mac's core functions. The SMC is a chunk of hardware incorporated into the Mac's motherboard. Its purpose is to free the Mac's processor from having to actively take care of rudimentary hardware functions.

What the SMC Controls

Depending on your Mac model, the SMC performs the following functions:

Responds to the press of the power button, including deciding whether the press is for a power off, sleep, or an accidental misstep by your cat.

Detects and responds to the opening or closing of the lid of a portable Mac.

Manages a portable's battery performance, including charging, calibration, and displaying remaining battery time.

Thermal management of your Mac's interior. This is primarily accomplished by sensing temperature at various places inside your Mac, and then adjusting fan speed to create or reduce airflow.

Uses the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) to respond to the sudden motion of a Mac portable and acts to prevent damage to various devices.

Detects ambient lighting conditions and sets appropriate lighting levels for various devices.

Controls keyboard backlighting.

Controls built-in display backlighting

Controls SILs (Status Indicator Lights) that are present on or in your Mac.

Selects external or internal video sources (primarily for iMacs with video input capabilities).

Starts hard drive spin downs, as well as power up sequences.

Controls sleep mode functions (waking and entering sleep).

Controls trackpad functions for some Mac models.

5. Narien thread starter macrumors member

So tested again today, the problem is not fixed, is the next step a nvram/pram reset?

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Try an SMC reset again. Before I replaced the battery in one of MacBook's, the battery health kept reading "4%". I did an SMC reset one time and it seemed to fix the solution until the next day my MacBook randomly shut off. So, I rebooted and checked the battery health and this time it was at 16%. I did an SMC reset for the second time and after the second time I continued to use the battery because the battery's health stopped fluctuating. It read "88-90%" for about 3 months before I finally replaced the battery due to lack of battery life (due to the battery having 600+ charge cycles).

So, I would suggest trying an SMC reset once again and seeing if that solves your problem. Otherwise, I would try a NVRAM/PRAM reset, which if you don't know how to do you can learn how to here.

7. Narien thread starter macrumors member

tried an smc reset again, will report back tomorrow or so regarding if its fixed or not.

8. Narien thread starter macrumors member

Still doesn't work, and I think I'm doing the reset correctly, surely it is shift + ctrl + alt + pwr button for a few sec?

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

10. Narien thread starter macrumors member

Hum, will try this when I get home, sounds like this is more of an alternative to rebooting rather then a permanent fix though, thanks anyways!

11. Narien thread starter macrumors member

Still no luck, sudo killall coreaudiod didnt work.

12. Narien thread starter macrumors member

No one who can think of a next course of action? :(

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Unplug the HDMI cable and power reset the Receiver and the the Mac. Also on the Mac open /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI setup.app and make sure Output part is set to 44100.0 Hz.

Then once the receiver started back up reinsert the HDMI cable and see if that helps.

Good Luck.

14. Narien thread starter macrumors member

Didn't appear to have any affect, is there any way to do a update rolback? cause I can't think of anything that I have done that could cause the problem...

And reinstalling the whole computer is not really something I want to do atm.

15. Narien, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

Narien thread starter macrumors member