Sending text via Hey Siri no longer efficient.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by backbraker25, Jan 17, 2016.

1. backbraker25 macrumors member

Using Siri on the watch has changed since going to 2.0. Now you can no longer say: "Hey Siri, send my wife a message: please call me" and have your message prepared and ready to be sent. Now, Siri will acknowledge what you've requested and ask you: "What do you want to say to your wife?" Which means, you have to touch the screen to tell Siri: "Please call me".

This is extremely frustrating especially for someone like me who leaves in a cold climate that requires wearing gloves. I have to remove my glove to touch the screen to give the command when before I didn't.

This feature should be re-added to the next FW update, this is one the most useful features of the watch.

Anyone noticed this problem?

2. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

That's not been my experience. I'm able to do it just like you want to do.

3. nicho macrumors 68000

I just tested it. OP is correct. Siri apparently sees the word message and stops looking for anything else such as the content.

@backbraker25 by saying "Hey Siri, send my wife: please call me" you should achieve what you're looking for.

4. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

I just use the syntax: "Hey Siri: tell my wife call me" , which results in an SMS message to my wife with the sole content being "call me".

5. Expidia, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

Expidia macrumors member

Expidia

Try holding down the two buttons on the side at the same time which reboots the watch. I've had similar issues with siri and a reboot seems to clear it up . . . like the watch not ringing when a call comes through etc.

i do see what you mean though about how it used to accept the message as you stated above before their last update. Hopefully, they will address this in their next update.

6. nicho macrumors 68000

That's good for you but clearly not the syntax op uses, hence his problem.

Thanks for repeating what I said with the word tell instead of send though. I do actually use them interchangeably.

Ps op says please.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

you need to say "Hey Siri, Tell my wife"

8. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks @nicho, that worked. Although I have to now alter the way I've been communicating with watch for close to a year.

9. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

I get similar results with texting via Siri with phone and watch, just in the last month or so.
    Very annoying.
    One of the major reasons I got the watch was for that to work well, no longer the case.

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

yes Siri missed the test command but got all the words tonight. trying to set a reminder gets all the words but not arriving at set.

11. nicho, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

nicho macrumors 68000

did you dictate this on your watch?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2016 ---
    interestingly, only the specific order OP said it in seems to break both (i just tested on the phone)

i just tested (hey siri on watch, just activating siri on phone) "send a message to my wife: please call me" and that works fine on both watch and phone.

"send my wife a message: please call me" asks me what message i want to send on both.

"send my wife: please call me" works as expected on both.

as does "send wife: please call me" - i think that's the shortest command you can use and get the desired results.

12. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Here's my usage.
    I am an auto tech and constantly drive and need to take notes, hand free via Siri to do so. It's worked in the past with just the phone (activate siri, "make a new note...Buick has tire vibrations") and saved as a new note in the stock note pad.

Then the Apple Watch came along, tried using it to take notes but couldn't, it says to use notes use your phone.

I found a work around to use the watch "hey Siri, text myself the Buick has tire vibrations"...worked fine. It would send it via text and could be read on my phone and watch all starting hands free with hey Siri.

Along comes iOS 9.2 and or Watch is 2.1 and now when I say "hey Siri text myself the Buick has brake pulsation". He watch typed it all on the screen but I can see the Siri line wiggling like it's still working. 5-10 seconds later it says "what do you want to say to Brad?"

This has happened on my current watch and my previous one just replaced, and although I haven't replaced the phone since iOS 9.2, I have restored as new device to start fresh.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
    Sorry if this is a thread hi jack but it seems like the op and I have the same issue so info may be helpful to them as well.

Thanks
    Brad

13. nicho macrumors 68000

I can't replicate this. Are you sure that's the exact syntax you use - it should work. How many contact numbers/emails do you have for yourself (that's the input that comes up in my case, but then it sends the required message).

Try the other suggestions above - tell or send?

As a workaround have you considered using reminders for this info?

14. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Yea, that's exactly how I phrase it to my watch when it doesn't work.

When I view my contact info I see my personal cell number and work phone number. And same for emails, personal hotmail and work gmail.

So you're saying instead of saying "hey Siri, text myself" to start it with "hey Siri, send myself"?

Yea I've thought of starting to use reminders. The thing is (WHEN PROPERLY WORKING) it's easy to text myself like 10 notes about a car, then as I write them down on a paper later, I can delete my entire text convo and start fresh. If I have that many individual reminders to swipe to delete, it may get annoying.
    But I'll try that if it if need be.

15. nicho macrumors 68000

Another workaround could be having your own mobile number as an extra contact, named "work" or something. Myself seems to confuse Siri more than other names from the testing I've done.

16. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Well, I tried that, and have been using it successfully tonight, until now. After saying work instead of myself, it types it out then asks what I would like to message. :(

17. nicho macrumors 68000

thats really strange.

Try the other syntaxes I suggested earlier for OP in conjunction with the work contact?

18. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

Yea, unfortunately didn't seem to make it much better, still failed more than 1/2 the time.

HOWEVER, I've since updated to 9.2.1 OTA and hasn't happened since. soooo....maybe it was fixed in 9.2.1 or the siri gods are smiling down on my Apple products letting them work correctly.

19. friedmud macrumors 65816

I really think reminders are the way to go for you. Make a Remonders list called "car" or "work" and use this:

'Hey Siri add muffler rattling to my work list"

You can have as many reminders lists as you want... just target them with the command and all of your notes will go into the right list. Check them off as you do them (to do that from the Watch I recommend "Reminders Nano")

20. Hustler macrumors 6502

Hustler

That's a good idea, I'll give it a shot, plus I have reminders nano and love it on my watch.

21. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

sorry missed the post yes on my watch. lately siri gets the text right but does not get the location. siri remind me when I arrive at work to do so and so. it will get the text right but not make it a location reminder. it has been getting worse. and a reboot did not really help.