Sending texts abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Luis Ortega, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have an iphone in the UK on pay as you go, and I am in the US right now.
    The place I am at has wifi, but I don't know if I can send text messages to people back in the UK without it costing a lot more.
    I have roaming turned off on the iphone.
    Can anyone please advise whether sending text messages in my situation is possible or more expensive than normal?
    I don't want to try it and find out that I have been charged 10 or 20 pounds for it like my friend discovered when she answered an email while on vacation.

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Depends what network (I dont think you stated which one)
    I am on o2 (you could be unless unlocked) and when I went to America last year I used my non-iPhone to text home. It was more expensive but it's not like £1, it's more like 50p or 70p. I can't remember the exact figure.

Basically it's just slightly more expensive but ALOT cheaper than calling home or receiving calls for that matter. It cost me £6 for my friend to call me for 2 mins. COST ME!!!! lol.

What I did do though, was go to Target and got a Virgin PAYG phone for $12 and got a $20 top up card. I then gave my friends and family a call through number to use which is soooooo cheap it's actually cheaper than mobile calls in the UK!

You can use this:
    0844 972 0044

Then you dial the number you want to call in the US and it will be charged at 2p/min
    http://0044.co.uk/Cheap-International-Calls/USA.htm
    More details above.

I actually programmed in a number into my mum's phone which let her just call me.
    08449720044+p140866666666 etc. Notice the +p in the middle, that adds a pause so it waits to be connected. It 'might' work like that, but I cannot guarantee.

out of interest. where are you in the US? I'm going next week!

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.
    I am on O2 as well, and have about 15 pounds credit on my pay as you go.
    I was looking at the O2 website and it seems like text messages may be about 50 pence or so, but I was not clear about it and was afraid to get charged 10 or 20 pounds for sending a text.
    I have been wanting to respond to the text message that I received the day I left but was reluctant to do so without knowing what it would cost.
    I have roaming turned off on the phone but with the hotel wifi I can check emails and use maps ok.
    I am in Miami Beach and it was 104 degrees yesterday with another scorcher planned for today.

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy