Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comspy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Hello,

I just got an iPod Touch a few days ago, and I've noticed a speck of dust under the screen that is very annoying and looks like a dead pixel. I can request Apple to pick it up for repairs online (since I got it engraved), but I have a few questions about that. I use my iPod every day and couldn't go without it, so does Apple send me a new Touch, then I send them my old one back? Or do I send them my old one and wait for a week to get a new one?

Comspy

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
If it isn't a lot of dust, I'd keep it. I was in the same situation as you - my iPod had a little bit of dust under the screen (mine also had a light leak - a gap on the right hand side of the iPod where you could see the backlight coming through), and I think that's where my dust got in. I sent my iPod to Apple twice, the first time the lady I spoke to when I organised the service put down some crap about the battery as being the problem, so of course the technicians never looked at the dust.

Second time they finally did something about it, and sent me a new one. No visible light leaks, but in the week I've had it it's gotten a hell of a lot of dust under the screen, and I really have no idea now - it's so much more worse than the touch that it replaced. If it wasn't for the fact Apple damaged it when it was serviced the first time (it came back with dents and scratches), I'd have just kept the first one.

comspy said:
I use my iPod every day and couldn't go without it, so does Apple send me a new Touch, then I send them my old one back? Or do I send them my old one and wait for a week to get a new one?

It's pretty easy to figure out that you'd have to send the old one in first if you think about it logically:

1) If Apple sent you a new one without getting the old one back first some people may screw them over and never send the old one to them, thinking they can get away with it.

2) If Apple sent you a new one without assessing the problems on your old iPod then you'd get thousands of people trying to scam Apple by saying their iPod is totally ****ed, getting a new one, then sending the old one back just because they scratched it or whatever. Apple won't replace an iPod unless it's likely that the problem has been caused by a manufacturing flaw or something that cannot be, in any way, attributed to the owner/user; as a result their technicians must look at it to determine whether it's a valid complaint.

s2late2be

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
When I has problems with my touch, I didn't wanted to spend 10+ without it either, so your best shot is to take it to any apple store, they'll probably give you a new one there, I got a new one in the store..

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I would email Apple before sending it off, and ask if it was a problem that they covered or fixable by yourself. There's nothing worse than sending it in, just to find out it wasn't covered or was an easy fix that you could've done yourself. If they insist you sending it in, then ask for an estimation of the time it will be gone. If there is an Apple store or reseller closeby, take it to them instead. At least you'll save the shipping time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.