Senior project ideas?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sean7512, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Well Next year I will be a senior in my Computer Science major, and we need to submit a few ideas in the next two weeks for our senior project. The project pretty much has no limits, it just has to be relevant to our major (duh!).

What I am asking, is if some people can give me an idea on a cool/fun project. Maybe its an app that someone would like to see that doesn't exist or it could be almost entirely uselsess :p A senior this year got a wireless security cam, attached it to a remote control car, then hooked the remote into a USB port and wrote a program that controls the car and has a live video feed of the camera being displayed. Other seniors this year are using their internship as a senior project. I can do that, as I have an internship with a company, working on applications for the army. I do not want to brush my internship off as a senior project though.

I have one idea already, a program called NHL central. Check out some mockups below. Notice that when you click on a game, it starts streaming the radio of it. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Looks great.
    Windows though?
    come one =P

I'd probably provide the option for top or bottom positioning.

3. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do not own a windows computer at all, nor do I use Bootcamp/virtualization. We don't learn objective-C or Cocoa, so my app would more than likely be either JAVA (for cross-platform) or a Windows app :(

I know that the computer department will accept a project that is using OS X, as they highly encourage teaching yourself something that is not taught in class. I have also pondered that idea too...

Thanks for the positioning suggestion, that actually never crossed my mind!

4. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

Here's something I thought would be pretty cool.

The iPhone has those webclip things.
    A lot of sites have taken the time to incorporate webclip icons into their websites.

It would be great to have a similar thing in the Mac's Leopard Dock.
    Like stacks for web bookmarks!

5. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

how about an app where you pull up mlb gameday or the sort, and it will automatically produce you a scorecard for that game, no matter if it's going on then or if the game is over. and for one more step, you can click on any game on the schedule and it will give you a scorecard of that game. that would be great for baseball nerds.

one step further would be for the app to gather all news stories related to that game in another part of the app, so you get all the info right away about the game. like if i wanted to punch in the last mets game from last season, not only would i get a boxscore, but coming in would be stories and pictures from the game.

you can integrate in a ticker for at least the day's games, so that should be interesting.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

to add to the app on the previous post, you could wire a baseball batting helmet (with two ear flaps) to wireless headphones, connected to the computer. if possible, you can even create a mini-app on a smart phone so you can bluetooth wirelessly control the audio feed on the computer without having to get to your computer, say if you were outside or something.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I made an air traffic control virtualisation and simulation tool in Java (using Swing and Java3D). How long does your project have to take? Mine was 200 hours or so. I've attached a screenshot in case anyone is interested (it doesn't look that impressive if you can't see it running and have a go).

Attached Files:

8. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, these are all terrific ideas!!

The length is kind of undetermined, it has to be what the department deems "complex enough." We start it in late August, and our final project/presentation is in April, so we have a long time to do it.

I was also thinking of doing an iPhone app, depending if the SDK is available to student developers through ADC. So, iPhone app ideas are also welcome :)

I love all the ideas so far, they all sound awesome! Thanks everyone and keep them coming, please.

Sean