Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rock star poser

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Great headphones but only last about 3 months before one side of the headphones stops working.

I've had 3 different pairs and the same thing has happened.

Anybody else have this?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
No. We have three in our family all going strong for well over 18 months. All used pretty heavily.

I've just picked up some CX400s too. Even nicer.

There's a lot of counterfeit cx300s about, maybe you got them.

Rock star poser

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah, i'm well aware of the fake ones going around, I can easily tell the difference between fake and genuine ones.

I normally buy from Amazon direct, that way I know I can get them for a good price.

I'm looking at a pair of CX400, saw a good review in Stuff for men.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yeah, i'm well aware of the fake ones going around, I can easily tell the difference between fake and genuine ones.

I normally buy from Amazon direct, that way I know I can get them for a good price.

Me too. In that case maybe it's the way you handle them?

I'm looking at a pair of CX400, saw a good review in Stuff for men.

I bought them for two reasons: better sound quality (much more clarity on bass and high end), and the short cable to match my Shure iPhone microphone.

The only very small niggle I have is the lack of asymmetric cabling that the cx300s have. They're well worth the 30 quid I payed though.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
where did you buy them from, and how much did you pay?

I bought them for £30 from iheadphones.co.uk (they're a subsid of NuSystems, people who've been doing music gear for years). In the three days since I picked them up it seems the price has gone up though (amazon are now the cheapest).

The service was brilliant btw, very fast.

Rock star poser

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
yeah saw them on amazon... but they don't seem to be selling them, just says you can buy them new from buyers, which i'm skeptical about, as they could be fake.

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I had two pairs of them, and they each lasted about six months. Apparently, their good quality hinges on not pumping too much volume through them and treating them extremely well. I think if they came with a casethey would've lasted more than six months for me.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Great headphones but only last about 3 months before one side of the headphones stops working.

I've had 3 different pairs and the same thing has happened.

Anybody else have this?

You'll have to search through the iPod touch forum to find the thread I'm talking about, but I know there was a person who was complaining that this exact same thing happened to him with multiple headphones when using his iPod touch. In essence, it seemed as though his iPod was ruining headphones (even when the headphones were later plugged in to other devices).

I have no idea how, but your iPod might be defective, not the headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.