Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
i've read some very good reviews about these headphones...
does anyone have them? do you like them?
also does anyone know where i can get it for cheap??, $150 - $200 ??
thx

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's and they are great. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Sennheiser's....the sound quality is awesome.

kangaroo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2003
raiderz182 said:
thx

I have a pair--fabulous sound and incredible comfort. ;)

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
after getting some responses from other message boards i learned that
hd 570 vs hd 590

hd590 will go for $150 and hd570's will go for around $80

the 570's are slightly less quality and are lighter
i think im going with the 570's... becasue i doubt that i'll be able to tell the difference in quality anyway

salamis480

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
Singapore
sennheiser hd590s

If you're willing, go for the HD600s. Should be cheaper now with the new HD650s out in the market.

I took a listen to the 600s some time ago. Highs are silky, the mid-range smooth and the bass, though extended, could use a little more weight.

Depending on your listening tastes, the HD600 would last you for a long time.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
FYI, Senns that big will require a good amp to drive it, so expect to pay another $150 - $200.

Or you can check out Audio-Technica. These are made in Japan and IMO are better than the Senns, and are not as power hungry.

heljy

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2002
Madison, WI
thx

Hey I have a pair for sell. They are extremely comfortable but like what others say, require a good amp to drive them. They are very lightly used and I am willingly to let go of the for $100 + shipping.

I got them off ebay for $150-$160. So you might want to check there too.

raiderz182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
north philly
FuzzyBallz said:
FYI, Senns that big will require a good amp to drive it, so expect to pay another $150 - $200.

Or you can check out Audio-Technica. These are made in Japan and IMO are better than the Senns, and are not as power hungry.

what do you mean a good amp to drive them?

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
The 590s are great. I had a pair for 2 years. I actually like them better than the 600s, which sound like they are trying to sound like a pair of Stax, but just don't do it. Your mac should be able to drive the 590s alright, I wouldn't worry about it -- you won't *need* an amp.

If you want cheap though, the Grado SR-60s really surprised me. You can probably find them new for about 60 bucks. The detail isn't quite as good as the 590s (well, not too close really at all), but they're still incredibly enjoyable to listen to, and can be driven very well by absolutely anything. I just got a pair for my girlfriend.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I used to own 580's and they were amazing. Sennheisers are the best. I had a headroom amp to drive them. Getting a good amp is very important with good headphones. Check out the headroom site: http://headroom.headphone.com for more information on headphones and headphone amps. Check their prices, but I think it might be out of your range. I've also used Grados, but I perfer the Sennheisers. I plan on buying the Etymotic ER-6 this week for my iBook. :) Good luck and have fun.

lasuther

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
HD500s ??

What's the word on the HD 500s. they're only $100 headphones, but would they work with and iPod? Sound good, need an amp? What's the deal? :confused:

mac-in-fool

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2004
Grado SR80

raiderz182 said:
thx

Forget the Sennheisers, While very good headphones, they are over priced. Check out the reviews on the Grado SR80 or SR125. They are an open headphone, if you need a closed (around the ear headphone) opt for the Sony MDR 7506 a broadcast standard for over 20 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.