Sennheiser Headphones

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by JamesGorman, Dec 8, 2010.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hey Everyone,
    Im looking at getting a new pair of Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones. My question is for anyone who knows what exactly "open" means for headphones. The current pair of sennheiser's I have are "closed". Does this mean that the new ones will be heard by people around me more than a "closed" pair. Or does it mean something completely different.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I suggest reading this buying guide. As it explains, those terms apply to full-size models and refer to the ability to isolate what you hear from external noise. I prefer open models while I'm walking, for example, because I hate being hit by an ambulance while crossing the street, unaware of the siren.

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Thanks for the Link. That pretty much cleared up what I wanted to know. I definitely need closed headphones since they will mainly be for studio use. Ive currently got the hd 205's but I want something a bit more powerful and a bit higher end.

4. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

Sennheiser has something for every budget. HD280 is a great bang for the buck. Comfortable too.

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

HighTopFade's suggestion for the HD280 is a great suggestion for an entry into high-end headphones.

Also the HD280 are not difficult to power for them to reach their full range and output so you will have good flexibility in terms of the devices you can use them on.

I personally recommend open headphones if you have no need for them to be closed. The difference in sound imaging and stage is quite significant.

I would recommend the Sennheiser HD555s for a good starter. These are a bit more difficult to power and you will need an amp to power them to their full operating range if you are taking sound directly from any mac.

I personally love Sennheiser's sound signature across their entire range of products. I find it very balanced and wide ranging with excellent staging.

Good luck.

6. ICanHasEvrythng macrumors newbie

If you can afford the hd650's, which have dropped considerably in price with the introduction of the hd800, as well as an amp to power them I think you would discontinue use of any other headphones.....

Hands down they are the best headphones I have ever owned, Now that the price has come down they are likely the best bang for your buck as well.....

Do keep in mind that they require some power to sound correct, If you plug them into an iPod without an amp they will sound terrible comparatively....

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm running Sennheiser HD650's with a Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp. My source is a Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player. I also own a pair of Denon D2000 which I personally like more than my HD650's. They also cost less and are a lot more comfortable. I guess it's all a matter of personal preference..

Attached Files:

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

The Denons don't get the respect they deserve.