Sense check: 13inch rMBP with 24 ACD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eightarmedpet, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Hi All,

Just wanted to sense check my planned set up with folks on here, I'm quite new to these forums so apologies if this is the type of post that people get tired of... if it's a real no-no let me know civilly and I will delete.

I'm planning a new set up, I want a laptop as I plan to work on the move and don't really care for iMacs, I don't like the size of 15 MBP's so looking at the mid 13. I use CC mainly, rarely FCPX and some casual gaming (Left for Dead 2, Borderlands).

I currently have an i5 Mini with dual drives (SSD + HDD) which is doing pretty well but the 3000 struggles with games. Its linked up to a 24inch ACD display which I still love, I don't think I need any bigger as I sit quite close to my screen (small desk).

Why am I posting this?

1. To see if anyone has the same set up as my proposed and if so how it works for them.

2. If there is anything I have overlooked- resolution conflicts? Lack of ports (3 USB and 2 Thunderbolt seems plenty).

3. How much of an "upgrade" folks think it will be performance wise... its the same i5 practically but with Iris and PCIe.

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It seems like you've done a good job with your analysis. The only point I will make is that the 15" rMBP (the top end model) comes with a discrete GPU so your games will perform better.

I know the iGPU in the current 13" rMBP is fine, but I wonder if it will lilt under the load of the games.

3. Eightarmedpet thread starter macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

Thanks for your input Mike.
    My dream laptop would be internals of the 15 in the 13 but we are a few years of that sadly!
    I have an older 15inch that I'm about to pass on to my parents, I feel 15 is just too big to carry about...