Sensitive Information [Cloud] Storage/Backup

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sonicrobby, Dec 26, 2015.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I have tax, bank, and insurance documents on my computer, and Im doing my best to conform to the "iPad as a main computer device" to rid myself of a laptop. All my other documents are in iCloud/Box/Dropbox, but I don't trust these sensitive documents there. I can easily get these documents on my iPad via iTunes sync, but the question is if I were to do the iCloud backup, wouldn't that sensitive information end up in iCloud anyway? I can't think of a good way to store and backup these documents securely.

What service/process do you use to store such information online?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I would trust iCloud over any other cloud based storage personally.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If you must put stuff like that in the cloud there is surdoc.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

5. flyingspur macrumors regular

flyingspur

With a computer, Arq is great, easy to use. https://www.arqbackup.com/

I use it mostly with Google Nearline, some Dropbox. You own the keys, encrypted before it leaves your computer.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Putting your sensitive data on someone else's servers, transfers your control and security of the data to that organization. In many cases they take the proper precautions, yet we hear so many times about hackers gaining access. If I were to put that sort of data on the cloud, I would encrypt it myself, and not trust/rely on the host.

Given Apple's closed approach and lack of any information regarding its security, I trust them the least.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't trust any online storage service to protect my data.

What I do is use Dropbox in combination with TrueCrypt. I have a 1GB, encrypted, container in my Dropbox account where I store all my personal, sensitive files. That way I have access to what I need almost anywhere I need it.

Someone may be able to hack the Dropbox account, maybe - I have 2FA on it too, and get my encrypted container, but it could be up to 93.83 billion trillion trillion centuries before my password could be cracked. (https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm)

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, Apple is pretty darn open and forthcoming in regards to how it handles privacy and encryption with its services.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm still not convinced, and I'd rather take the responsibility of managing my data myself rather then letting multibillion dollar corporation manage it (I don't mean just apple).

10. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

This is the best solution I found and it works for pretty much every cloud storage service https://www.boxcryptor.com/en

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That does look good, but it requires an annual subscription for most of the features. I don't know how much the free version is crippled.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You have to ask yourself, how much is your privacy worth?? Considering the alternative I think it's a very small price to pay. That's just how I feel about it.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'll probably pass and find another solution, one of which would be not putting my confidential data on the cloud.

Given what it does, I don't see the value in spending 50 dollars a year, when there are other alternatives

14. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I would never ever trust any 3rd party backup solution unless it is open source and encrypts the files on my device with a key that is created locally and never leaves it. Even then, not many encryption tools are any good, open source or not. Tarsnap is one example of a good one, but it won't work on iOS.

15. ogs123 macrumors member