Sensitive Volume button on 2nd gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by spin84, Oct 17, 2008.

1. spin84 macrumors newbie

Just got a 16gb 2nd gen touch and I love it.

One very minor issue though - wondering if others have noticed this as well. The "down" volume button is VERY sensitive. To turn the volume down the button doesn't need to be "pushed"...just brushing against it or barely touching it causes the volume to go down. This gets annoying when I'm using the ipod and am constantly lowering the volume by mistake.

The "Up" volume button works fine - volume does not increase unless the button is pushed all the way in.

Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if this is something I should consider exchanging the ipod because of, or if i'm being too anal?

Thanks - great forum here

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sounds like an isolated issue. It is likely that the rubberized insulater (that also provides sprung resistance) is either damaged, or malformed on your new iPod touch. You may actually have a defective unit. I would (if you have time), take it into an Apple Store (or retailer you purchased it from) and test out others, and exchange it if needed.

All units that I have tested have required moderate pressure to change volumes.

[​IMG]

3. spin84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting

I thought this was unrelated, but when I first got the ipod there was a tiny piece of thin, black, rubbery material sticking out of the seam between the chrome backing and glass faceplate. I didn't think anything of it and pulled it off, but I wonder if this is more evidence that the insulator might be the problem.

Thanks for the reply - am I better off bringing this to Circuit City (where I bought it) or an Apple store?