Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I have GMAIL set up as an IMAP account on my iPhone 5 using IOS 7 and the built-in MAIL app. Can't seem to do it using Google's GMAIL app, either. I prefer to use the built-in MAIL app.

I'd like to be able to have a copy of the emails I compose and send automatically copied to a SENT email folder. I've read through Google's documentation and still haven't a clue as to how to set this up.
No way to create the folder on my iPhone, no way to auto forward sent emails to it.

Any chance of a "walk-through" from one of the many experts here?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
In mail settings, there is the option to "Always BCC myself"

As far as getting them in a sent folder, Google already has this, but since you use IMAP, Can't answer this.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
In mail settings, there is the option to "Always BCC myself"

As far as getting them in a sent folder, Google already has this, but since you use IMAP, Can't answer this.

I could use POP for GMAIL on my iPhone, I suppose. I use POP GMAIL on my desktop. But I am uncertain how to set up a SENT mail folder on the iPhone for this...

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I could use POP for GMAIL on my iPhone, I suppose. I use POP GMAIL on my desktop. But I am uncertain how to set up a SENT mail folder on the iPhone for this...

Google already has a sent folder in default setup.
So does every other mail account I have ever seen.

Can't believe you have never seen this.
Open Mail on phone, go to the Accounts section on bottom, open any mail account, there is a sent folder (if you have ever sent out an email from that address)

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Google already has a sent folder in default setup.
So does every other mail account I have ever seen.

Can't believe you have never seen this.
Open Mail on phone, go to the Accounts section on bottom, open any mail account, there is a sent folder (if you have ever sent out an email from that address)

You're right, of course...my mistake. There's an Inbox and a Sent. So, how would I add a category, such as Storage, for email I have received and want to save, long term?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You're right, of course...my mistake. There's an Inbox and a Sent. So, how would I add a category, such as Storage, for email I have received and want to save, long term?

Hummm... that is not what you asked about originally. You asked for a Sent mail folder :rolleyes:

Open mail, hit the edit button, then at the bottom of the list there is an Add Mailbox option ..... but I have never tried it.

Good luck, perhaps you should be exploring the options on your iDevice a little bit to avoid simple oversights.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Hummm... that is not what you asked about originally. You asked for a Sent mail folder :rolleyes:

Open mail, hit the edit button, then at the bottom of the list there is an Add Mailbox option ..... but I have never tried it.

Good luck, perhaps you should be exploring the options on your iDevice a little bit to avoid simple oversights.

I tried hitting the edit buttom and adding a mailbox, but it didn't work. Couldn't add a Mailbox, couldn't add a New Mailbox. The error message says the Storage facility I want can't be added to the server. That makes sense, of course.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

You can add any folders you want if you go to the webmail gmail. or use outlook. Not sure why iOS wont allow it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I tried hitting the edit buttom and adding a mailbox, but it didn't work. Couldn't add a Mailbox, couldn't add a New Mailbox. The error message says the Storage facility I want can't be added to the server. That makes sense, of course.

It might be your label. Some labels like storage or archive are system defaults and you can't use them. Try something like "to keep". If that doesn't work try doing it via the web log in. Would sync to your phone, that's in the IMAP standard behavior

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
Thanks. Was able to do what I want via my web-based GMAIL through trials, errors, and frustration. I suppose we were indeed in the post decent documentation era.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.