Sent friend an iMessage, it went to my wife

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Feb 6, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Take a crack at this.

I had to restore my phone and set it up as a new phone yesterday.

Some of my wife's apps are under my Apple ID since she bought some stuff from my account before she set up her own. She now has her own Apple ID that is associated with her phone.

This morning I got a popup on my phone that said something to the effect of iMessage and FaceTime for my wife would be using MY phone number. The only option was to hit OK. I thought it was odd but shrugged it off, there wasn't anything I could do.

Later on I sent my wife a couple iMessages which worked fine. However I also sent my friend an iMessage; he received it. However, so did my wife?

What's going on and how can I fix this? Definitely don't want messages going to the wrong recipient, or in this case, multiple recipients when they shouldn't.

Thanks.

2. hismikeness macrumors regular

Under Settings>Messages>Send&Receive, on both phones, select the numbers and/or email addresses you want each phone to be able to be contacted at.

That should solve it.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I think this is the issue. Looks like on her phone under messages she was signed in under my Apple ID and had both her and my numbers listed/checked. So she signed in with her own ID and then has just her number checked, and I did the same on my phone with my ID and my number. Hopefully this works.

Haha, luckily I didn't say anything bad.

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I went through the same thing with my wife's phone. Finally just bought the apps again under her account and solved all the sign in / sign out issues. Lesson learned: a few apps are cheaper than a divorce.:)

5. chrfr macrumors 603

The App Store and iCloud accounts do not need to use the same Apple ID. There's no need to repurchase apps in this instance.

6. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I did that too. I didn't mind paying for apps we were both using. The developer put his time into building great apps and deserved his money.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah me and my family all have 1 iTunes account but we all have are own iCloud account. We all get the same music and the same apps with feeling like we have separate accounts. We have no problems at all. And I think apples gives you something really generous like 10 iCloud accounts for every iTunes account.