Sent iPhone in to be replaced, Apple claims its damaged....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slick316, Jun 4, 2014.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I bought my iPhone 5 on launch day. Over a year later I bought the Nexus 5 because I wanted to give Android a shot. I handed off the iPhone 5 to my Mom. A month ago the sleep/wake button stopped working on the phone. My Mom asked if I can do anything about and I said yes since I had AppleCare+ on it. She reverted back to her iPhone 4 and I sent the iPhone 5 in to Apple for replacement.

The process was super quick and I couldn't have been happier. However, the replacement phone I received had an issue with the home button. It didn't seem to work 100% of the time, often not registering that I even pressed it.

On Monday, my Mom wanted to switch to the iPhone 5 again and so I helped her do a backup and switched her over. As soon as I started using the phone to try and set it up, I noticed that the home button was worse. Might take 3-4 clicks for it to do something. At one point, I pressed it 20+ times before it did anything. I knew it had to go back so I sent it back to Apple for replacement.
    This time it hasn't been so smooth. They received the package but now claim that the phone is damaged, giving me an option to either pay the deductible for another one, send it back to me, or have it recycled.

The email they sent me regarding this issue has a link that takes me to the Apple support page and they have attached two pictures of my phone to show me the "damage", but the pictures do not work. I chatted with someone just now to try and figure this out. They told me that the pictures so that the device was tampered with and screws were missing. Considering that I don't even have the pentalobe screw driver or whatever it is for the phone, I don't see how this is possible.

Is it possible that the replacement device I received wasn't looked over correctly and now I'm paying for that?

I'm a little upset right now, but I will call Apple in the morning to discuss this further since I can't even view the pics to see what they are talking about.

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

If you think you are in the right, there's nothing for you to do but escalate this, and as the manners police always seem to note, be "very very polite" in your dealings with apple employees.

4. jer04 macrumors regular

jer04

yea, call them and see what they say about it.

i think they make those replacement phones by taking apart those phones they received from customers and assembling the good parts plus new screen and battery into a new case. Chances are, the phone you had was assembled by an inexperienced person and he/she might have forgotten putting some of the screws back.

btw, over the years, pretty much every time i get a replacement phone, there is always a big scratch on or around the sim card tray position. those workers don't seem to be very careful with replacement phones.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It does seem like Apple is "clamping down" on some of it warranty/replacements.

I can't blame them when it is so abused by so many!:rolleyes:

(INCOMMING)

6. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

It seems to be the case these days. People taking advantage of the system, and now it cost those of us that want to do the right thing. I guess that is life. It only takes one apple.....

7. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE:

Quick and easy. Got a call from Apple regarding this, spoke to a gentlemen that took my side of the story, handed the call off to a supervisor who immediately claimed that he believed me.

Apple repair depot put my phone repair on hold because of missing screws around the LCD that indicated to them that the screen might have been replaced. The supervisor thought this was bogus considering I have AppleCare+ so if I did break the screen, it would be cheaper to send it to Apple to replace/repair it than it would be to do it myself.

So glad this resolved so easily.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.