Sent out for replacement video card - is it New or Used?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AdiosVista, Oct 23, 2008.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

Hello,

I was having some graphic issues with my new mac pro so I called apple care and they've sent me a DIY replacement card and now I have to mail the original card back. My question is, are the replacement parts apple ships new or used/refurbs? The card came in a little bubble wrap, anti-electricity bag inside of a padded box so I can't tell the condition of the part. It would really put a bad feeling in my stomach if I just dropped that much cash on a new machine last month, only to have used parts going into now. Anyone know for certain if their replacement parts are new? Thanks.

2. grue macrumors 65816

Sounds to me like a new card didn't help in the first place ;)

But in all seriousness, their service parts are usually brand new. There's no point in them doing fancy packaging since normally a service center is the only place that sees them.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Plain packaging is normal, Apple or otherwise. ;)

4. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure I understand what you mean. I swapped the replacement card in today, no problems at all so far. I'm glad I got it, I just want to know if it's a new replacement or used.

5. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks nano, so are you saying you think the replacement parts through apple care are new?

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think they are probably new unless the part is SUPER OLD from like a couple of years ago.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

So long as:
    1. The part is still in production.
    2. Unused, a.k.a NOS (New Old Stock) is available once production has ended.

Once these two sources are exhausted, you are left with used. However, the Apple Care/warranty for other manufacturers tend to expire first.

Used parts can be recycled prior to the exhaustion of new/NOS supplies, but this tends not to be the case, as the cost of testing + storage is more expensive than just storage of unused parts.

Hope this helps. ;)

8. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent, thanks! The replacement card was the ATI 2600 which is still shipping with current mac pros so, from what you said, I would say this is a new card.