Sente 6 and Papers 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andy8, Aug 3, 2012.

1. andy8 macrumors regular

I am considering to purchase an application to manage my research articles. I'm thinking of purchasing either Sente 6 or Papers 2. I have read plenty of reviews on both including head-to-head stats but what will be interesting to know is your experience in using both these software and which do you think is the overall winner in managing research journals ?

2. dakwar macrumors 6502

I haven't used Sente so can't say. I have used Papers and have no issues with it. Papers is also cheaper so that is a bonus.

3. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I have used both pretty extensively. While Sente's Internet sync feature is fantastic and makes it a whiz to share databases across multiple computers, I had numerous problems with Sente's ability to insert and properly format references in complex manuscripts. After months of tinkering and playing, I turned to papers2 and have not looked back. Papers 2.2 has made some major leaps over previous versions, and its note taking/highlighting/magic manuscripts functions are a treat to use. Syncing my database across multiple computers (using Dropbox) can be tricky at times....but a small price to pay for stable/reliable referencing in my opinion.

However, I realize that my experiences may not be shared by all. Both programs offer a trial period....I would recommend that you download them both and give them a whirl. Try actually writing a paper (with both programs) and test out all of the functions that you will be using extensively. Importing your references into the program is only half the battle. As the feature sets of each program are quite different, you will probably develop a strong preference for one over the other.

Happy hunting!

4. cntwtfrmynwmbp macrumors member

Hi,

check out these free programs - if you haven't already:

Mendeley
    Zotero
    Colwiz

Personally I prefer Citavi because of it's knowledge management features, but unfortunately it's only available for Windows.

5. andy8 thread starter macrumors regular

I am using Mendeley currently and will look through Zotero and Colwiz. I'm looking for Mac specific software/application.