Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Origin8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Hi all,

Version 1.4 of Origin8's 'Sentinel' is now live in the iTunes App Store. This update provides a pack of new content and features for our acclaimed iPhone sci fi Tower Defense game.

To mark this release, Sentinel is on sale for a very limited period at just 99¢. I know there were a few people around here who were balking at the previous price, so now's the time to grab it :)

Features in this update:
- New map: Last Stand. Defend your escape shuttle from the vicious hordes as you evacuate the Martian colony.
- New tower: Ion tower. Does area damage over time to air and ground based targets.
- New enemy: Duo-Cranium Mutant, ground enemy that is immune to slow damage and has a charge attack.
- Enemy patterns on all levels have been revamped to include the new enemy.
- New destroyable: Power barrier. Until destroyed this blocks a second entry to the level.
- Sentinel is now compatible with the original 2.0 device firmware.
- Drones now have a toggle for repair/harvest.
- In-game music has been added, automatically stops playing if you prefer to use your ipod music.
- Easy and Medium difficulty settings have been made easier.
- Hard and Psycho have been made harder.
- Help tips on map 1 now only display for easy and medium skill settings.
- Towers available on each level have been shuffled around slightly to accommodate the new tower.
- Bosses no longer go along the short left-hand path on map 3 (The Core).
- Map 3 (The Core) assault mode has been reduced from 120 waves to 90 waves.
- Some towers now have a more powerful top level upgrade.
- New game icon.
- Security on the highscore submissions has been improved.
- Various minor bugfixes and other small balance changes.

Get Sentinel from the App Store at http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=305974985&mt=8

If you have any comments or questions, hit us up here in this thread or on our forums at http://www.origin8.com/forums. Our Twitter's at http://twitter.com/origin8.

Hope you enjoy the update - tell us what you think!

Attachments

• ScreenMain.jpg
    ScreenMain.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 91

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
i got the game when it was 2.99, so now at .99 is definitely a buy. nice to see that you guys are improving the game. hope we get to see more updates in the future.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
As above, i also got it at full price and think it's great still.

Downloaded the update and it's great, but i'd like more maps :)

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Awesome update! Was worth the full price but even better for newbies at 99c. Hands down my favorite TD game!

Thanks Origin8! Keep up the excellent work!

techguy1

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
London
Been using version 1.2 for quite a while and one of my favourite games, but there is no 'update' available via iTunes yet.

Origin8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Been using version 1.2 for quite a while and one of my favourite games, but there is no 'update' available via iTunes yet.
That's odd - is this still an issue or has it shown up now?

Fe1

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
That's odd - is this still an issue or has it shown up now?

But this happens frequently.

E.G.: I often see the tell-tale "numbers" appearing on my iPhone, advising me that apps have updates. I prefer to upgrade via iTunes, but on checking, there are none available. I recheck an hour or so later, still nothing. Late late at night, I check again, and there are suddenly LOADS available.

I'm not sure if it's a GMT thing or what, but it's annoying.

Origin8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
How does this compare to Field Runners?

Sentinel's better, of course ;)

Being serious, Sentinel is a fixed path Tower Defense, while Fieldrunners has an open map. I personally think they're different enough to easily justify owning both, especially at Sentinel's current price. I'll leave discussion of their respective quality to more objective observers.

Zebassis

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
How does this compare to Field Runners?

My view is that Sentinel is superior to Field Runners. I have several TD apps, and Sentinel and The Creeps are the two I keep revisiting. Especially since both were updated.

But as Origin8 said, they are really a different type of game, one being fixed path, one open play. So, both have a place in my library.

If I had to put an order on the ones I own it would go as follows:

The Creeps (latest version)
Sentinel
Besiegement
Elemon TD
DungeonDefence(if more updates come)
7CitiesTD
geoDefence
FieldRunners
GardenWar
TapDefence
C-Defenders

An honourable mention goes to Zombie Attack. Sort of a TD, but with more interaction. Though it badly needs an update.

But, again, it's my opinion. We all like different things (luckily, or we'd be Cylons)!

Now, Origin8 is making my brain work... I seem to recall ZX Spectrum 48k games / C64 games.... Maybe that was Origin. I'm going to have to research now!

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Sentinal's pretty good! I spent a few hours yesterday to beat the game on medium, and I thought it was fast paced, challenging, and fun. The BGM adds definitely adds a lot of atmosphere to the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.