Senuti, other methods unsuccessfull for moving songs to computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by msw123307, May 20, 2008.

1. msw123307 macrumors 6502

I have a problem. I have a windows-formatted Ipod that I have been trying to get ALL the music put back on my computer. I have both a Macbook and a PC.

My first method to try and get the music was using drag and drop into a new folder on my PC. This didn't work properly, apparently some of the file names (the jibberish ones created by iPod) were the same, because not all songs copied and it kept asking if i wanted to overwrite..etc.

I have tried Senuti as well on the Macbook. It transfers most of my songs except for about 110. But it's about 110 random songs, with seemingly no rhyme or reason as to why. They play just fine on my iPod, so the file is there, but I can't get them to transfer over properly.

I've spent hours over numerous days trying multiple 3rd party apps and don't know what to do. This has become a huge headache. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get Ephpod for your Windows machine and you can transfer the songs back; I don't know of any Mac applications as I've only had to do this once on a Windows machine.

3. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

^Thanks, although that program isn't free. And I don't know if it would do the job or not. Is there not a fullproof way to do this? I understand Apple's piracy concerns, but it seems there should be an emergency recovery method of some sort.. :confused:

4. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

There has to be a reason why those songs aren't transferring back because I've used senuti just fine. Is it maybe they are songs you purchased and are protected?

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, I've used Senuti with no problems at all. If you can find out which 110 are being transfered, then I'd definitely check and see what format they are in. Perhaps your only option with those 110 is to burn them to CD then import.

6. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, oddly the songs that aren't transferring weren't purchased from the store. All the songs play just fine on the ipod. For example, on one album, one single song didn't transfer. All of the others went through fine. But one song wouldn't go through on Senuti.

On another note, if I do decide to manually back up what isn't going through..what's the best way to sort through the songs and see what exactly didn't transfer with Senuti? The songs are marked in iTunes with the ! symbol. However, it is impossible to find all of those and I don't see where I can sort by this symbol.

And also - how can I test the songs that ARE showing as loaded in iTunes, because I know sometimes the ! symbol doesn't come up until you try to play the song. Which means I could have more songs missing than I thought..:mad:

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Missing songs will be discovered by iTunes if you leave iTunes on long enough.

Or if you really want, just go to your library, start playing a song, and keep your finger on the right arrow (for next song).

8. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a way to sort so I can see the songs that have been flagged all together? So many problems...:confused:

9. msw123307 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I tried it again last night. No apparent reason for Senuti to drop these files. If I go and try to transfer the files one at a time from Senuti - it locks up every time I try to do so (if the file was one that didn't transfer).

Also - the files that didn't transfer, for example it may have only been one song off of an album. But - that file was the exact same type of file, etc when I looked at my previous backup. So I could find no rhyme or reason for the problems.

Anyway, I did manage to get most of my other tracks that were missing from a previous backup on an external drive. So I'm done fiddling with the program.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sharepod is free. Btw Ephpod hasn't been updated since about 2003...

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

You don't need special software to move music off an ipod. All you need to know is that the music is inside a folder caled iPod_Control/Music but the iPod_Control folder is set "hidden" so Finder will not show it. Go in with the terminal and simply copy (cp) the files off the iPod to whereever you want.

12. DrWhiteFPS macrumors member

feeling your pain

working with Senuti now... Just transferred all of my files. Didn't automatically upload into iTunes so I did it manually and dragged the folder containing the music to iTunes.

My problem now is the playlists did not transfer.... I did it as described but no luck. Any suggestions? Should I try again?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

ephpod is free and always has been. It's worked for me...