Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Curious. I used my Apple Card to buy my 2020 MBA through the Apple Store App on my iPhone. I ordered the laptop and AppleCare+. I ALWAYS get AppleCare. My Apple Card shows two separate charges:

$1598.31 ($1499.99 + 6% sales tax)
$265.50 ($249.99 + 6% sales tax)

The order total on my order page at Apple is
$1,863.81

The math works but the charges were applied separately. and appeared on my card several days apart. Never noticed this before. I paid the balance of my Apple Card immediately as I always do, but it was initially only for the MBA. Now I see I have a further balance due for the AppleCare+. I was about to dispute the charge for $265.50 as I haven't been to an Apple Store (they're closed) and I didn't remember buying anything on May 8th (day of the charge to my card), when I did the math and figured out there were separate charges for the MBA and AppleCare+. My card will not allow me to pay the balance just yet, and it kind of irks me.

Reactions: Falcon80

resaka

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I just got charged for my new MBA 2020 and was charged separately for my laptop and the AC. Not sure why they are charged separately though...

Reactions: rambo47

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
When I bought my MBA I also purchased AppleCare at the same time. When the initial charge went through (when it was going to get prepared for shipping) I got charged the full amount. This was pending though - when it actually went through it went as separate charges (Apple Care and the MBA).

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Probably because you can return AppleCare within the first 30 days.

Less complicated to refund that charge perhaps?
I never considered that someone might return the AppleCare. Hmm... Makes sense though. I knew there had to be a reason. Doing the math told me everything was legit. Just convoluted to my way of thinking. Perhaps I need to "Think Different." :)

• Haha
Reactions: deeddawg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I never considered that someone might return the AppleCare. Hmm... Makes sense though. I knew there had to be a reason. Doing the math told me everything was legit. Just convoluted to my way of thinking. Perhaps I need to "Think Different." :)
Honestly just a guess, so I could easily be wrong.

Another thought may be if they bill you for the computer when they ship it and AppleCare when they deliver it? I ordered mine through a campus store and they just did one lump charge. But they are not Apple either. So who knows :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.