Separate digitizer from glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kfergiez, Dec 15, 2014.

1. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

It's a simple question. Can you separate the digitizer and lcd from the glass on an iPhone 6?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You probably need to check the ifixit tear down. I would think you could if apple can replace just the glass on a phone.

3. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i wouldn't do that if i were you. technically you could. but putting it back together you'll probably break or damage something. when apple replaces the display its the whole thing

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Trust me when I say it's not something you want to try. It's near impossible to do without breaking or scratching the screen.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

When this is done it isndone with a special tool. It's actually less of a tool and more of a machine. Doing it by hand, while I won't say is impossible, is very unlikelynto go successfully.

6. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

this^. people don't assemble the displays really, they might do a little but not all of it. a machine does it then it it ends up looking like this

[​IMG]

7. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Thank you for all of the replies. It's odd that I see so many options for just the glass replacements, but not the actual glass+digitizer+lcd.

Any suggestions as to reputable retailers for purchasing a new display? The wife dropped her iP6 and it now has a crack at the top of the screen. I'll shell out the $109 for the apply store if I have to, but I'd like to find a cheaper alternative.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

when people here are saying they broke their screen and had it replaced by apple, apple replaces the whole front. not just the glass piece just to clear that up. best to have apple do it that way you still keep your warranty.

9. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Oh I understand that part of it. I was simply shocked that aftermarket suppliers would provide just the glass and not the display assembly.

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Since the screen became bonded I've never understood this either. I have personally replaced just the glass on a gs4 and I used wire (like cheese wire but thinner) to remove the digitiser from the screen. Then it was a combination of highly flammable chemicals to remove the left over glue before rebonding, trust me NEVER again!

11. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Fair enough.

Other than visiting the apple store, any recommendations for aftermarket supply?

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's really to early to get decent parts. I personally would go to apple. If your lucky they will sell you apple care plus

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. You may actually end up paying more going outside of apple b.c the parts are rare.

14. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Are they legit? (the suppliers)

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

You don't care about voiding your warranty on a phone so new?

16. kfergiez thread starter macrumors 6502

kfergiez

After some research, I still can't find many places that will sell the display (the sum of all the display parts) for under what Apple replaces them for.

$109 is a deal in my book. The trouble is this. The crack on her phone doesn't really affect the function much at all, it's just an eyesore. While replacing the display for a bill is pretty good, I don't know if I want to shell out that much for something that is unsightly.... who am I kidding, I'll just complain about it, then shell it out.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If it's a single hairline crack (rather than multiple or spider web cracks), Apple will replace it free of charge under warranty regardless of the cause. If you purchased it using an Amex card (or equivalent), you can file a claim and get reimbursed under the 90-day Purchase Protection that covers accidental damage. Otherwise, $109 out of pocket is the way to go.