Separate FaceTime account for each device?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HXGuy, Mar 12, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

So how does this work if you have an iMac, iPhone and iPad with FaceTime on all of them? If you are logged into all three with the same account, which one rings when someone calls you? Do you need to setup a different account for each device?

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm trying to figure this out too. I was trying to use facetime from my mac to my girlfriends mac instead my iPhone to her mac and it wouldn't go through, and when she tried to initiate the call it would only ring on my phone. I don't know how to separate them.

3. altair0074 macrumors newbie

They all ring if they use the same FaceTime account when someone tries to Facetime you and you can choose which one to answer. You do not need to setup new accounts.

However, FaceTime accounts for Mac, iPod Touch, and iPad uses your email address while iPhone only uses your phone number so FaceTime account on your Mac and iPad is different from your FaceTime account on your iPhone.

If someone FaceTimes you using your phone number then only your iPhone will ring and not your other devices since your FaceTime email account is not linked to your FaceTime phone number. If someone FaceTimes your email, then all your devices using that email will ring but not your iPhone.

4. CC424 macrumors regular

To get everything set up you will need separate accounts. I have facetime on my iphone 4 using my phone number and my macbook pro using my email account.

5. bige12 macrumors 6502

bige12

On you iPhone 4 you FaceTime you Mac computer if you have the FaceTime program on your Mac. And you can actually link certain emails to the FaceTime preference in the program on the Mac and when you do that it links all of the emails to your apple ID

6. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I just created gmail accounts like

upstairs-imac****
    downstairs-imac****
    mini-livingroom****
    *****'sMBP
    *****'sMBP

then if I am on my phone I can facetime any of these.