Separate music folders on iPhone for same artist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jack06, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Jack06 macrumors member

Hi Guys,
    So I'm transferring an Album to my iPhone and for some reason it's creating 3 separate folders for the same artist. For example, I have a folder for Rihanna, a folder for Rihanna and Maroon 5 (1 song) and Rihanna (featuring Jay Z also one song). What's going on? Originally they were all in the same folder, when I imported the songs into iTunes, they were in the same folder, but as soon as they arrive on my iPhone they split!
    Look forward to any help!

Cheers
    Jack

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Hi, as far as I know follow the steps below to put all artists into a particular folder/playlist.

Open iTunes on your Mac/PC.
    Left-click on a particular song that has a duplicate folder on your iPhone.
    Click "apply sort field"
    now click on "same artist". a warning box should pop up, stating verification. click "ok" and it should be done.

To put all songs by that artist, click "same album". Hopefully when you next sync your iPhone with your iTunes software, all the songs of that particular artist should come up under one folder/album.

I think this is right, well it was the last time I tried it with my iPhone 4.

3. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Tried sorting by album and artist to no avail.
    I did with the two songs I had trouble with and tried highlighting all the songs and sorting, nothing.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Wow, that is truly interesting and unusual. Probably best to go to the genius bar at an Apple retail store, they will work it out for you. TBH, my artists are always in the same album/folder, regardless of sorting them out myself.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

maybe put them all w/ the same artist for 'album artist' in iTunes

6. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

If all of the songs have the same value for 'Album Artist', another thing you might want to check is to see if any of them have a check mark for "Part of a compilation" when you right-click and select "Get Info" in iTunes.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Hi Jack,
    umm interesting, if the suggestion from rwilliams doesn't work either (and keep the same 'album artist'), then edit the artist name to only the desired artist and in the name of the song like for example at the end you can add the feat. X artist as part of the name of the song. Example:
    Eminem - Love The Way You Lie ft. Rihanna
    (inside artist: main artist) - (inside song: song+feat artist)

9. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

That did the trick!
    Thanks everyone for all your help, it was really starting to get on my nerves!

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

:cool: