Separate Printer/Scanner or a Multi-functional one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fastjack, Jun 7, 2008.

1. fastjack macrumors newbie

hi there

I am looking to buy a printer to print photo's at standard size and up to A4, my other half also wants the ability to scan. Also my camera uses Xd so I would prefer a printer that can take them, at the moment the only ones that seem to have Xd card readers are the HP range.

Anyway I was wondering worth buy a multifunctional device or say a separate solution of a HP D7260 and a separate scanner?

any advice or thoughts?

cheers

FJ

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I really like my canon mp530, but it does not have a media card reader.

3. paulej69 macrumors member

I've been using an Epson MFP for a while, has slots for all types of media cards on the front of the machine.
    Check out the Epson Stylus Photo range - they are designed for photo work - my printer has a USB slot on the front so the camera can be plugged straight in (pictbridge).
    Mine is a couple of years old, I'm sure the new models will have media slots for your XD cards (I also have an XD camera).

Paul J.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Unless you are short of desk space, separates are IMO better.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Many really good AIO's for home use can be had nowadays for $69-199....granted these are not suitable for professional/business uses, but will do great for the average home user!

I recommend Epson or Canon, based on my previous experiences, and would NOT recommend HP at all. 1- because their Mac software absolutely suks, and 2- because of the cheap build quality and BS customer service......which is sad, since their stand alone LaserJets (11 & 12xx series) are among the best, most reliable printers out there :p

But before you buy anything, go shop around at your local electronics retailers and see whats out there ..........pick out a few models that have the features you like, and THEN shop online for the best prices :p

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

What kind of scanning are you doing? If you want high quality photo scanning then you probably want a separate. If it's just scanning for emailing letters/qucik and dirty photos/etc., then I'd go all-in-one.

7. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I use an HP AIO, Very good for the price, looks nice too.

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I use an HP AIO scanner/printer and the quality is excellent. The scanner ain't the fastest in the world, but for casual use it's more than adequate and can produce results good enough for pro use with a little care...