Separate Regions, Separate DVD Drives?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dance again, May 26, 2013.

1. dance again macrumors newbie

I'm working on a video series where I review and anaylse television shows. I'm mostly looking at region 1 and 2 DVDs.

I need to be able to switch back and forth between regions frequently, which obviously isn't an option with the 5 chances I'm allowed.

I read that a good solution would be to buy a second USB DVD drive and simply reserve one for watching US DVDs and the other for UK DVDs. Can anyone tell me if this would be effective?

I guess what I'm really asking is, does the computer read the DVDs or does the USB drive?

Many thanks.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Good question, I think myself it is set in the DVD drive but don't rely on my information.

3. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

It works.

When I was doing my DVD conversions for the Apple TV, ran into same issue. As I've lived in a number of countries, I think I had 4 different regions in my collection. Didn't bother me as my DVD player had multi region settings, but not my mac at the time, nor today obviously.

I went out and bought three cheap DVD USB players. Each one became a separate region, saving my mac drive 3 more changes.

Buy an extra drive for like $20 bucks. Mine were sony brand. Still have one sitting in the cupboard, just in case.

4. luckyluckyjim macrumors newbie

DVD Drives.

Hi. Two drives seems to be the easiest solution.
    I'm sure someone out there can tell you complicated ways of beating the system but if you just want it to work then you have the answer.
    When a player is locked it is locked in the hardware of the drive itself.
    Good luck.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u know only 2 regions required then GO4rit. DVD readers are dirt cheap anyways. No thinking.

6. dance again thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers guys, I'm relieved there's such a simple solution.