Separate sub-forum for promo codes?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mtehonica, Jan 14, 2009.

?

Should there be a sub-forum for promo code posts?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. mtehonica macrumors regular

Anyone else think there should be a sub-forum for promo code threads?? It seems very cluttered ever since promo codes came out. Just my .02 :)

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

My vote was simply no, why you'd ask? It's a welcome invitation for trolls. Just my .02 cents

EDIT:
    But I do appreciate devs promoting their apps nicely in terms of doing a contest or by requesting
    an e-mail before they could give out the codes. That way it simply doesn't clutter mostly.

3. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

definitely yes. promotions are basically advertisements and should be separated from the general discussions

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I think there should be a sub-forum but threads with promo codes posted directly should not be allowed. Instead, people can send an e-mail to the developer and receive a promo code. This makes it easy to get them and prevents trolls.

5. mtehonica thread starter macrumors regular

You all have a lot of good points. I like the idea of requesting an email before giving out promo codes to avoid the trolls. It's just making this forum too hard to monitor and stay involved in when all you see is are promo code threads.

6. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Yes, please! I'd like to see an "advertise your app" forum. This forum should be about users discussing apps, not developers advertising their own.

7. return7 macrumors 6502

At first I didn't agree but the more I think about it, the more I think this is a good idea. Although I'm guilty of doing the contest thing too, it would make it much easier to find useful info on this forum. :)

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Have any mods thought about this idea? Because I would really love to have the option to block these types of threads in my Forum Spy. :)

9. DynamicCoreApps macrumors member

DynamicCoreApps

personally i think it should be any sort of codes including stuff like 'family codes' for iMob etc. that way people looking for codes would have a place to go and people looking for App Store chit-chat wont have to dig through the code topics to find what they’re looking for

:):apple::apple:

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i will agree that adding a subform for the codes is a good idea. it gets tiresome seeing all these threads pop up but still wanting some news and the like on the app store in general.

13. tdmom macrumors newbie

YES, YES, YES! ;) I think developers introducing their apps and/or offering promo codes should be able to do so, but rather than posting the codes in the thread, they should have people send them a pm to request the promo code. This may make it easier to get them and prevent trolls. JMO. :)

14. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I must admit, I do get tired of all the promo code threads, and the multitudes of other posts which in one way or another, are just promoting their own app.
    It IS advertising. No other forum would allow that, so im not sure why this one has to..
    So yeah, at least put this stuff in its own section. Please..

15. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I would love to see this. I don't want the promo codes to get banned entirely, but it is really starting to grate on my nerves.

P-Worm

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    post count?

Maybe make the post count to access the promo code forum like 15-20 posts so trolls can't come and just take the codes? Makes it a bit more controlled. :)

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, a separate forum should be created. The App Forum is as messy to wade through as the App Store. :rolleyes:

I'd also like to see rules about how developers give these out. They should be done via PM. I see no reason why lurkers who don't register should benefit from them. (I say this as a marketer and not one who even wants the codes.)

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Note that in order to fight spam, we have disabled PMs for new users until they reach 24 hours of membership and have five posts under their belts. That could prove problematic for posters (particularly newly-registered developers wanting to distribute codes) and the mods...we certainly don't want people to spam their five posts to get PM access.