Separated MBP Topcase

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AARice, Mar 22, 2011.

1. AARice macrumors newbie

So I installed a new hard drive in my '08 MBP yesterday but somewhere along the way the top case got a bit messed up. It was already kind of dented, but now it's raised, creating a gap between the aluminum and the plastic frame. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

I was going to superglue it down but figured the fumes could be harmful to the computer if the glue gets hot enough. Any tips?

Thanks.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. AARice thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes:

The adhesive was loose already and I tried to bend a dent back and screwed it up even more.

4. paleriderc2d macrumors member

If you are handy with a fine tip solder gun and using a fine bead on the corner, you may be able to secure that corner.

The computer already looks like it has seen a battle so any patching just needs to be effective, not necessarily aesthetically pleasing.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The soldering iron will only melt/ scorch the plastic and not get hot enough to seal (besides the fact that the solder is will not adhere to the aluminum). AL can be welded (but usually is only a temporary fix) but soldering will not work, you would be better with the glue, although if going that route I would look for some industrial strength epoxy as your best bet.

6. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Go with the super glue. Use a generous helping to ensure that the case adheres to the plastic siding. You'll probably need to hold it down for quite some time.

And if you get any extra glue onto the palmrest, you can use a substance like Goo Gone to get rid of it.