Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batmanners

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2014
I have a Series 1 aluminum 42mm watch that I got in December 2016. Today I realized my watch wasn't connecting to my phone for the first time. After restarting the watch, I realized the bottom half of the screen is separated from the bezel.

Is this a symptom of the swelling battery issue I'm reading about? Is there a way to tell? The screen is still attached on the top end & still works, so don't want to pull it apart if I don't need to.

About a week ago I banged my watch on the granite kitchen counter. I didn't notice anything then as I was distracted by the scratch it left (screen didn't break thank God), but I didn't have any performance issues until today. The watch has felt hot sometimes after charging for the past few months. Could I still get it replaced under the extended warrantee or is it nearing time to give up my old reliable?

IMG_9625.JPG

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The bang on the kitchen counter may be unrelated. Based on the age of the watch and the display separation, it likely is battery swelling. Don't pull it apart - you might do damage that would then leave you responsible for the repair.

If the battery swelling continues the display may separate completely from the watch - then you'd be able to see the battery and judge whether it looks like it's puffed a bit (like a pillow). However, why wait? You can't use the watch in its current condition. Contact Apple and see what they have to say.

If there's no evidence of accidental damage (cracked/damaged display, dents in the metal near the display) then it's likely you'll be able to get it repaired for the cost of a battery replacement.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have a Series 1 aluminum 42mm watch that I got in December 2016. Today I realized my watch wasn't connecting to my phone for the first time. After restarting the watch, I realized the bottom half of the screen is separated from the bezel.

Is this a symptom of the swelling battery issue I'm reading about? Is there a way to tell? The screen is still attached on the top end & still works, so don't want to pull it apart if I don't need to.

About a week ago I banged my watch on the granite kitchen counter. I didn't notice anything then as I was distracted by the scratch it left (screen didn't break thank God), but I didn't have any performance issues until today. The watch has felt hot sometimes after charging for the past few months. Could I still get it replaced under the extended warrantee or is it nearing time to give up my old reliable?

View attachment 944014

There is a plethora of empirical research indicating the Series one had plenty of issues of swollen battery’s. Given that your watch is almost 4 years old, there’s no doubt that’s exactly what’s going on here. At this point, I wouldn’t even attempt to have Apple repair/diagnose the issue and I would just move on to upgraded model. You’re wasting your time otherwise.

Reactions: Ferc Kast

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
My series 1 screen entirely separated a month ago, seemingly out of the blue, after 3 years of use. When I looked up the potential repair cost, I ended up upgrading to the series 5 instead, which I gotta say is night and day difference on app load time.

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
I've gotta go with the crowd on this one:

Definitely a swollen battery. Not worth fixing due to cost & age. Get a used Series 4/5 for a couple hundred bucks on eBay.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
My series 2 SS that I gave to my daughter battery had swollen and separated from the body! I was told that this problem was addressed for series 4 and later model! this the second time that I have been burned buying SS Apple Watch as the apple care runs out the watches dies!! lol Don’t think one should buy apple watches with the hopes of them lasting a long time!! after applecare expires watch at least for me expires! .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.