Seperate dual monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sound214, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Sound214 macrumors 6502

Hi! Recently I bought the Zotac mini DisplayPort to two HDMI-adapter, which, as you can tell, makes it possible to add two external displays. The problem with this, however, is that it makes the two additional displays act as one.

Is there any way to split or separate them?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean by "splitting or separating" them? You can change the arrangement of the screens, but won't be able to prevent windows from being split across monitors, for example.

3. Sound214 thread starter macrumors 6502

Making them act as two, instead of one big screen. 1920x1080x2 instead of 3840x1080.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In System Preferences>Displays you can choose to have them Mirrored or not Mirrored.

If they are mirrored then both displays will show the same thing. They will be two separate screens, but will be identical to each other.

If you choose not to have them mirrored then you will have what you call one big screen, but you can the have different things on each screen.

5. Sound214 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem is that both screens are different resolutions; full hd and 1680x1050. And when I, for instance, play a video in vlc and make it full screen, the video will appear in middle of both screens, which doesn't look so good...

6. mjhinnant macrumors newbie

Trying to Make Best of Situation

Hello,

Long time reader but seldom poster.

Thanks to all of you who post. I have learned so much over the years.

I am now in need of some knowledge. I am trying to make the best of what I have for as little as possible. I have a macbook running 10.6.8 and my employer let me have 2 DELL monitors on a DELL molex splitter.

What I tried is a series of inexpensive adapters to connect the macbook to the monitors:

mini port to DVI-D to DVI-D TO DVI-I and then a DVI to 2 HD15 ends that connect to the DELL splits

The Macbook sees the monitors and they show in preferences correctly, but nothing shows on the 2 DELL screens.

I had no idea of all the different DVI variations before trying this. I am assuming the problem lies with the DVI to HD 15 splitter? Would it have to clearly be a DVI-I splitter?

Thanks!

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I'm surprised that two monitors are even shown in system preferences. Regardless, it sounds like you'll need a (non-passive) adaptor like what the OP is using, something that forces an output of 2x1080p from the macbook and splits it for each monitor.