Seperate/Multiple Accounts is possible for FaceTime, iMessage, iCloud, and the Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Himynamesnoah, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Himynamesnoah macrumors member

I have seen some questions and concerns about only being able to have 1 account for all of those service.

On iOS 5 Beta 1, you CAN have seperate accounts, for some you can have multiple.
    • FaceTime can have mutiple accounts, seperate from all the other services.
    • iMessage can have multiple accounts, seperate from all the other services.
    • iCloud can have an account seperate from all the other services.
    • App Store and iTunes store accounts are linked at the same apple ID as always, but can be seperate from all the other services.

By default, your Apple ID is used as the account for all other services. To change this, go to the settings of the service your trying to change (ex. iMessage) and tap on where it displays your ID/email. Then tap sign out, and sign in with your desired account.

You can do that for each service, and they will all be seperate.

To create an @me.com email, go into Settings then go to the Mail section. From there, tap on MobileMe and create your account! You can use this account for iCloud, and any other services using the method above.

2. hismikeness macrumors regular

This has been a concern for me and my set up. I've been trying to devise a way of getting around this, and I think you may have just answered my question.

I have an iPhone4, my wife a 3GS. Both are connected to my itunes account, so that we only have to purchase apps one time, and we sync off a shared itunes library with separate playlists.

So, if I read you post correctly, you're saying that he phone can still be linked to my itunes account for the purposes of syncing apps without having to purchase them again, but can have a different account for the purposes of iCloud?

I don't want my pictures to show up on her phone everytime I take one, and vice versa, just because I can't have separate accounts. But I really don't want to have to re-purchase a bunch of apps for her if that is what is needed.

3. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

First to clarify the above OP post, which was great, you can have multiple icloud accounts synced to your iPhone (ala MobileMe, works same way) but only one icloud account will actually be your main account that backs up to the cloud.

And yes is answer to your question. Think of icloud as your main hub for settings and email/cal/cont/todos and photos (it does more but that is the core). There is only one that is backed up.

Messages totally separate (although it's interesting if those are backed up upon a restore. I suspect no)

AppStore and iTunes. Login with your account, your wifes account, your kids account whoever to download respective apps each has downloaded.