Seperate OS HD?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MaxOnMac, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MaxOnMac macrumors newbie

I'm new to the forums, so firstly, hello!

I'm definitely going to upgrade to FCS6 as soon as I can, but To get some more performance out of my mac pro (4 Core), I'm thinking of either...

*Boosting the RAM to 4 or 8gb,
    *Or adding a much faster, smaller size HD, to run the Mac OS off of, and relegating my current HD to media storage.

Have any of you experienced the benefits of either of these options; which one gives you the best performance?

Thanks in advance,

Max

2. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Hi and welcome!

I suggest a compromise:
    • Get the HD for the OS and other programs, HD are so cheap now-a-days and you have room enough for 4, so its basically a no-brainer!
    • And get more RAM (4gb is good). Its always a performance boost! Especially if your doing Motion, have multiple programs open, etc. etc.

3. MaxOnMac thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Davowade macrumors regular

Hey Max,

Just a note, I found it particularly useful to have a seperate OS HD when that drive died from a hardware failure a few weeks ago.

As mydriasis said, they are so cheap now that there really is no excuse. And when you only lose your programs that can be re-installed as opposed to EVERYTHING, you can bet its a few hundy bucks well spent! ;)