Sept. 5th new ipod cost?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tennismanclay, Aug 29, 2007.

1. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

So hopefully i will wake up on sept. 5th and log onto macrumors and see new ipod touch released with wifi. :D But anyways if they do release a new ipod and i decided to get it what do you all think the price points will be. Will there be more than one model? More than one color?

Just curious what yawl thought a new ipod with touch controls and possibly wifi would cost. I would try to get one around 60gb or so i dont need 120 or 160gb.

-Clay

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

eek, you dont have school on the fifth?

its my second day, and it is probably going to be horrible knowing what very well might be going on at that exact moment.

i hope ipods maintain there price points, as i have been saving up for a high capacity video to make its home next to my iphone

3. Nemisis macrumors member

I'm hoping that the price remains low...preferably under 400 for the larger version. I doubt that will happen, but it'd be nice!

It's going to be announced on the 5th though, right? Not released...?

4. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

yes i do have school on the fifth but i have video tech later in the day around 1 30 and will have access to internet =]

5. tennismanclay thread starter macrumors regular

tennismanclay

Both i would assume, they will annouce it at the media event and it will be in stores possibly the same day and on the apple store. But im not 100% sure of this.

-Clay

6. ds252 macrumors regular

i feel your pain being in class while the live updates are happening...that makes me think will there be live video for this one or is that unclear or does that never happen at these...Well anyways let's just say i'll be going to the "bathroom" alot...library.

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

8. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

if that ^^ is true it will be the coolest thing ever.

i currently have:

$ 45.00 from rolling all the change on my house
    $ 50.00 (at least) for the reserve being met on my currently listed nintendo ds.

so about 150 will be hard to make in less than a week but extreme chore asking may do it

9. Nemisis macrumors member

Hell yeah it would be!

10. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

haha im in your situation, but i have seeled the deal on a $200 dollar job, and all i need to do now is sell my current 5.5G and im all set for a new ipod...

11. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

If the new iPod uses NAND, the price will stay at $249. If not, then the price(s) will increase $50.

There would still only be three models; why would keeping the old iPod around would make sense?

Look at the iPhone: $499, $599

Keeping the iPod right now (lowering the price wouldn't fit Apple's history): $249, $349

Inserting a more expensive full screen, touch screen iPod at $399 or so wouldn't make financial sense! It would seem overpriced and be compared with the iPhone at only a $100 difference.

Not to mention, nothing much would differentiate the iPod with the nano besides a larger screen. Which wouldn't matter with an even larger-sized model.

-=|Mgkwho

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

My money has been sitting waiting since the announcement of the iPhone, so I don't care how much it is. I just want it... soon. Hehe. :D

However, hoping for around the same prices as now, a little more expensive for slightly larger. I don't need 120Gig+ but hell I'll buy it.

13. pang macrumors newbie

14. raptor96 macrumors regular

Much of this is true and while we're spinning assertions based on assumptions - th premium of ~$100 from the premium iPod to the iPhone wouldn't just be for the larger screen. It would go towards that y'know extra 112 gigs you're gettting so that you can actually watch movies on it.

I think what will happen is that the line will become as the nanos and the full-sizes have. Apple isn't cannibalizing their iPhone market because the iPhone is a phone first, media player second (b/c of space and just major function usage). Conversely, the iPod is solely media and can handle something the iPhone can't (movies). Yeah yeah the iPhone can play movies but c'mon how much can you really fit on 8 gigs. I like being able to take a lot of my media with me, which you just can't do w/ iPhone.

So I think rather than cannibalizing their market their expanding and refining their lines (so now it becomes nano = iPhone w/o touch or phone b/c I think they'll add movie capability, and iPod = premium media player).

15. philmo macrumors member

Recycling program

This seems like a relevant thread to ask this question.

Does anyone know if Apple still offers a 10% discount towards a new iPod if you bring in an old one? I assume it doesn't matter if the old iPod is no longer functional.

Also, I gather from Apple's Federal Employee Store terms that, as a contractor, I'm also eligible for the same discount. Does anyone know how I can claim this discount in a store? Or if I can combine this with a 10% recycling discount?

Thanks

16. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I know that education discounts typically don't apply to iPods, as they're used for "play" and not "work." I don't know about federal discounts but would expect them to work the same, i.e. no money off iPods.

Sorry, don't know anything about recycling, but it's a good idea & I'd hold Apple's feet to the fire over it. :D

17. philmo macrumors member

Well if the online federal govt apple store is any measure it looks like they sell iPods at about 10% off.

If the 6G iPod has WiFi then I can *totally* use it for work as well as play...

18. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I am curious about this too, as I am both a federal employee and have an ipod that I want to recycle. The recycling program is still in effect as far as I know, and you get 10% off your ipod purchase price for trading in any ipod photo or ipod video (possibly nanos and minis too).

I've used my gov'ment discount before but never on an ipod, so I don't know if it applies. If it does, I'm curious as to whether it can be combined with the discount from the recycling program. I don't see why they should be mutually exclusive...

EDIT: My guess on pricing:

"fat" ipod with flash: $249 - $300
    new touchscreen ipod: $350 - $450

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

My "3-day wild guess" on pricing of new iPods

iPod shuffle

1 GB--US$60
    2 GB--US$100

iPod nano

If using current case design

4 GB--US$150
    8 GB--US$200
    16 GB--US$250

If using new smaller case design

4 GB--US$150
    8 GB--US$200

iPod mini (video capable)

8 GB--US$250
    16 GB--US$300

6G iPod video

80 GB HD--US$350
    120 GB HD--US$400

I think there's a chance around February 2008 we'll see these additional models:

iPod mini (video capable) 32 GB--US$350
    6G iPod video 160 GB HD--US$450

20. philmo macrumors member

Oh darn, how do you know they restrict the recycling program to those models? I have a 3G...

21. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

If they do release a WiFI iPodTouch I expect the price points to be around the $349 - 80gb and $449- 120 gb price points, maybe even higher. This will prevent any cannibalization talk regarding the iphone as they will be similarly priced. ( I assume they will share a lot of features but the iPhone will have a phone and flash memory, while the iPodTouch will have iTunes/AppleTv remote control capabilities and a HDD).

I think an additional line of video capable ipods (that will retain the clickwheel) will come in at the current $249-349 price points which explains the rumors for 4 new ipod models.

Shuffle $79
    Nano $149-249
    Video $249-349
    Touch $349-449

22. clove macrumors newbie

So generally, is it expected the prices for the other ipods out will drop a bit?