Sept. Edu Promo Vs. Oct. Leopard Release

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anonmill, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. anonmill macrumors member

    anonmill

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #1
    I think I have already made my decision, but wanted to hear some of your opinions (I am often amazed at the insight people in these forums have). I am going to buy a 24" iMac sometime in the next 2 months. I am university staffer and qualify for educational discounts/promos. So what I would like and appreciate feedback on is:

    Should I buy the iMac after the Sept 5. event and get the iPod $200 rebate, free printer, and $30 off .Mac; but have to pay for Leopard in 2 Months? (I already own a 60 gig iPod)

    Or

    Should I wait until Leopard is released, saving the upgrade cost of the OS (~$65 through college purchasing) and potentially having there be other promos or a slight hardware update to the iMac with the Leopard release?

    Again I think I am leaning one way over the other, but wanted any insight I may be missing. I am also watching this thread as it relates.

    ttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=347850
     
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    Grab the iPod promo...it only comes around once a year and you get much more through that deal than just waiting for Leopard.

    Don't expect an iMac update before January at the earliest.
     
  3. freshstart macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #3
    I am going to buy mine this week. I figure that the current Tiger OS is adequate for me as I am coming from Windows, and if I decide later to upgrade I can. Meanwhile, I can get my MBP, an ipod, a printer AND a killer deal on Adobe CS3 Design Premium by buying before mid-September.

    Happy shopping!
     
  4. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

    MovieCutter

    Joined:
    May 3, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, DC
  5. saxman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2004
    #5
    If you need an iPod anyway (and/or printer), and if Apple does discount Leopard for education (which cannot be assumed since the edu price is getting smaller across the board), you will come out slightly ahead if you buy now. If you don't need them, or don't want to sell them, then you could wait.
     
  6. saxman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 13, 2004
    #6
    I am incorrect. You do qualify for the promo. Apple's store saying "college students..." misled me. Please ignore
     
  7. prady16 macrumors 6502

    prady16

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Location:
    Right There --->
    #7
    If i were you, i would wait for Leopard to come out. I have a sneaking suspicion that you might get some freebie software bundle along with Leopard. Moreover, iPods are going to be refreshed next week, so you would rather want the latest and the greatest iPod rather than a regular nano.

    Buttttt..........
    If you know people who would buy the nano from you, go for the promo, sell the nano and with that money, buy Leopard!
    I highly doubt iMacs being refreshed in the next 2-3 months.

    My $0.02
     
  8. anonmill thread starter macrumors member

    anonmill

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    #8
    Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it. If there is any more keep it coming. I was (and am) leaning more towards buying at the end of next week. I know it is a long shot to hope that any new iPods will be part of the promotion, but a guy can hope:rolleyes: and a week doesn't make that big a difference especially with the holiday weekend (I am going outside).

    I was just curious if anyone thought there would be any kind of hardware refresh when they "refresh" the iMacs to come with Leopard. But based on the road maps I have seen, new processors aren't expected until Q1 '08. Other than that it would have to be just something like size increases unless they go completely unexpectected and add some new feature/option (i.e. video encoding chip, touch screen, etc. and yes I realize these are more hopes than reality)
     
  9. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #9
    I personally think the iPod promotion is the better option. That way you get a free iPod (nano) and you only have to shell out the $69 for the Leopard upgrade. It's by far the most cost-effective option.

    Good luck with your decision.
     
  10. theprizefight macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    #10
    I think you should wait at least till sept 5. Apple is holding a press event this day, which some have said might be when steve will announce the new ipods.

    Im not sure how this would work though, considering the back to school promo doesnt end till mid sept.......maybe they will switch out the free ipod and youll get a brand new one rather than the old one? this is just my 2 cents, other people want to comment?
     
  11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #11
    The smart money says that it will work exactly like it did last year...the promo isn't good on new iPods released during the promotion. It is only good on the specific model numbers (ie. the current generation) listed in the terms of the rebate program.
     
  12. bwv1013 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    #12
    my thoughts exactly. the discount on the software is what absolutely sold me on buying in time for EDU discount. the bang-for-the-buck on this deal is ridiculous, too good to pass up. i don't even "need" a new computer as i just got my iMac in January, but the sweet software/ipod deal convinced me to make another "investment" in the form of a laptop... :D
     
  13. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

    wakerider017

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Location:
    US of A
    #13
    Your are NOT going to get the new iPods if you wait until after the Sep 5th event...

    (It seems from your original post that this was your intent)

    Sorry, but Apple has the part numbers that are listed in the promo and they are all OLD iPods
     
  14. twoodcc macrumors P6

    twoodcc

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    Location:
    Right side of wrong
    #14
    like others have said, you won't get the new iPods. But I'd still wait til after the event anyways. Buying now is probably the better option
     

Share This Page