Sept US hardware/software sales

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Sky Blue, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

HW Sales
    Xbox 360 527.8K
    Wii 501K
    Nintendo DS 495.8K
    PlayStation Portable 284.5K
    PlayStation 2 215K
    PlayStation 3 119.4K
    Game Boy Advance 75K

SW Sales
    360 HALO 3* MICROSOFT (CORP) 1 3.3 million
    WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 2 282K
    NDS LEGEND OF ZELDA: PHANTOM HOURGLASS NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 224K
    PS2 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 205K
    360 SKATE ELECTRONIC ARTS 5 175K
    360 MADDEN NFL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 173K
    WII METROID PRIME 3: CORRUPTION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 167K
    360 BIOSHOCK TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) 8 150K
    NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A NINTENDO OF AMERICA 9 141K
    PS3 HEAVENLY SWORD SONY (CORP) 10 139K

wowzers 360/Wii, lol PS3

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Good sales figures. Hell 120,000 isn't so bad. Better than 360 in Japan no doubt :)

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa! Contrats 360 :D Halo 3 really was a big event for MS!

At least the PS3 got above 100k this time.

4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

5 week month. Just sayin....

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

One day a 3rd party Wii/DS game is gonna need to actually sell some units. Every top game is ALWAYS a Nintendo 1st/2nd party game. On the graph they have on Kotaku, 360 had 74% of the software revenue, Wii had 17% of the software sales and PS3 had 9%. So despite selling 4 times as many systems, it had less than twice the amount of software. And even without Halo 3 sales, 360 sold double the PS3 take so 360 would still outsold Wii games even without Halo 3.

Think 360 has peaked for this year? It has a lot of good games coming out but if people didn't buy it for Halo 3, what else are they gonna wait for? But it is a little worrying to me that 360 barely outsold the Wii despite it's biggest game, maybe even the biggest game period, coming out. Although NPD says that "

"According to the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews, Metacritic, Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 31 for PS3 and 11 for Wii.

Newly released title "The Orange Box" (Valve) and the highly anticipated title "Mass Effect" (Microsoft Game Studios) have both generated rankings of 97 and higher according to Metacritic. And not to forget "BioShock" (2KGames) which remains one of the year's highest rated games."

So maybe the 360 is just getting started.

So, good news for 360 and Wii but a bit of bad news for all, though mostly for Sorny (as usual).

And the PSP is still doing well, I'm glad to see it's getting some sales since it really is becoming a great system (FFT....mmm)

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Really? I'm not surprised to see the PS3 down there, but who the eff buys a PS2 at this point?

7. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

I think it's peaked period.

The PS3 is superior hardware, and its now cheaper for a more capable system. Microsoft had to hope that they had built a big enough lead with their year's head start. I honestly don't think they have.

/I own both consoles.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I doubt that. Maybe next year after Sony hits with MGS4, GT5, GTAIV, Killzone 2, maybe even FFXII PS3 might have a good chance to score some massive damage against the 360.

But 360 will have GTAIV as well, plus the exclusive dlc and then Fable 2, Too Human, probably Gears 2...

I do agree that MS totally screwed themselves, especially last year by not putting out the AAA content to establish a better lead, and releasing Halo 3 so soon into the lifecycle is weird since there isn't gonna be a Halo 4 for a good long time, if ever and Halo = $$$Xbox$$$, but I suppose they will pull a Nintendo and milk the Halo name for all it's worth.

9. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Remember though, just because one system has superior hardware doesn't mean it will become on top.

I'm not saying that PS3 won't be on top in the long run, but I'm also not saying that it will.

10. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Peaked in what sense? Given that the 360 owners seem to buy a lot of games, certainly more games are likely to be made. If more games continue to be made people will continue to buy the system.

Peaked technologically? That doesn't keep the Wii and DS from thorough domination in hardware every month.

I guess I just don't understand how a system that continues to easily outsell the PS3 (in NA) and has better games (my opinion... I guess) with more on the way will suddenly fall off. Sorry, but that's insane.

Do I have a PS3? No. Do I want one? Absolutely. But let's not be delusional about it overtaking the 360 in the near future. If it was as simple as having superior hardware PS3 would already be winning.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Good ole PSP still hanging in there stomping with the big dogs....well done.
    PS3 is not making the sales it should but that could all change just like anything else in this world.

I think the 360 will be fine.....reached its peak...naaa...it has two to three years left in it. The line up of games doesnt interest me at the moment but I'll keep looking in for the gems.

Whats really interesting is what SK posted:

"According to the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews, Metacritic, Xbox 360 has 80 titles with a Metacritic review score of 80 or higher compared to just 31 for PS3 and 11 for Wii."

Not bad for the first year......oh and I really dont wanna hear people talk about the PS3 not having good games when the almighty wii has 11 80 or higher rating games.....yup no good games alright.(lets just put that to rest)

Bless

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

2ny 2ny 2ny, as long as there are people shouting FUD like comments like BluRay being required for new games, Wii stock being held back blah blah you should expect such comments back.

Either way. Out of all these "80+ rated games" none on the 360 are enticing me. GTA4 is what I'm after, even these Halo 3 and PC ports (Orange Box) aren't exciting me.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

while software sales being impressive for halo the hardware push doesn't seem overwhelming..
    the 360 out selling wii thanks to their absolute totally dominating blockbuster by _5%_ isn't the wide margin everybody expected (even i considered more like 100-200k)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Exactly. Agathon is talking the usual fanboy FUD.
    Superior hardware tends to mean Jack Sh*t in these things.

MP3 wins music format war - but is less quality than what it replaces
    VHS won over beta, but beta was a technically superior format
    PS2 won over Cube & Xbox and yet was hardware inferior to both

PS3's hardware is not a guarantee of success, Sony forgot that and became utterly complacent and contemptuous towards it's customer base.

The 360 has just as many killer AAA games coming out for it as the PS3.
    Alongside all the multi-format releases, GTA IV, Devil May Cry, Mercenaries etc... There is Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Too Human and a whole myriad of others.

Simply because you fail to see them or have any interest in them, does not negate their existence and importance to others.

And lets face it, there's still a chance Unchartered could turn out to be as much of a turkey as Lair and the rather bland/average hack n slash Heavenly Sword.

Oh and by adding /I own both consoles does not solidify an utterly meritless argument. period...

15. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats your opinion but HS was a good game(the user/"professional:rolleyes:"ratings show that) What you are talking about here can go both ways....whos says those 360 titles won't be duds...your last argument doesn't hold up as well as the begining...we gotta look at these things equal.

We could all be up *beeps* creek if these titles don't deliver.

Bless

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh I agree that MS games could be turkeys too. I didn't mean it to sound one way at all.

Oh and I know HS being average is only my opinion, I never said it was terrible, just average 6-7/10 for me (much like Gears and Halo 3) Over hyped and over-rated... :)

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

:eek: How did you fix your tongue to say that about the beloved!.....what I'm really checking for now is games...no more what console is best or none of that crap...I want the games to be as good as they can for all platforms.

I'm greedy....I win when good games come out;)

Bless

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Amen to that brau

(in a dog the bounty hunter accent) :D

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

ya gotta find Christ brau, stay off the ice :p

While those games listed could be crap, I doubt it. Bioware doesn't make crappy games, maybe Jade Empire I guess, neither does Naughty Dog so Mass Effect and Uncharted are gonna be good games, two dudes from 1up Your basically made verbal love to Mass Effect on their last show. R&C is gonna be great too, since again, Insomniac doesn't make crappy games and R&C is their bread n butter, not mention that aside from people saying "well it might be too much like older R&C games" there has been nothing but good thoughts on it. Alan Wake, well who knows same with Fable 2 (remember Fable?! *grumble*) and Denis Dyac seems to hate Epic & MS so I'd like to see how good Too Human turns out to be (early previews say damn pretty but dull game).

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Don't let the fact that Sony's pushing the panic button with a console not even 1 year old sway your "opinion", please. -$200 in Ps3 price cuts vs -$50 for Microsoft? Yet the 360 has peaked and must be in danger? Pfft...:rolleyes:

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I wouldn't say the 360 is in danger, but Sony's drastic price cuts might give them room to catch up.

23. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Yes it does. It means a great deal when the hardware isn't just a little better, but a lot better. All the PS3 has to do is roughly track 360 sales (i.e. sales as if the launch dates were aligned). If it can do that, eventually the technical advantage will begin to tell. The 360 is going to be punished for not having an HD drive for games, and for not having high capacity hard drives on most models (and the PS3 is actually cheaper if you take all the features into account).

HD gaming has not really taken off yet, so it's anyone's game. The fact that the PS2 has been outselling the next gen consoles (with the exception of last month) is telling.

You play Motorstorm or Heavenly Sword, and besides what you think of the games, you point me to a single 360 title that can match the graphics that those games have on the scale they have. I can't think of a single one (and I have most of the good 360 games). The 360 cannot even run its premier title, Halo 3, in true HD.

Simply put, once the console hits its stride in the next couple of years you'll see stuff on the PS3 that the 360 simply won't be able to emulate, because it just doesn't have the juice.

But by all means, continue to believe whatever you like.

24. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Except the point of the next gen consoles was to be more than gaming machines. To be media centers. The 360 is hopeless at that. Most systems have a small hard drive and they all make such an abominable noise as to be useless at it. Not so for Sony's offering.

The PS3 is a more powerful machine and has a high definition format for its games (and a better HD format for media), and it is cheaper (feature for feature) and more reliable. How long before 4GB simply isn't enough for a next gen game? One year? Two years? Microsoft has already said that 360 games will not be on HDDVD. That is the 360's Achilles heel.

But go on believing. Microsoft's gamble was that they could build up enough of a lead with an inferior product given one year's head start. So far, they haven't managed to do that, and Nintendo is cleaning their clocks as well.

With every passing week that the 360 fails to obliterate the PS3, it becomes a weaker proposition. And the weeks are passing...

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You make me laugh, Agathon. Even if the PS3 is more powerful than the Xbox 360, power isn't all there is. Isn't that what all the PS2 fanboys were screaming in the last generation? Because we all know the Xbox has more power than the PS2. And it came out on top.

And: If you use all the features, sure, it's cheaper. How many people are going to when a computer is a better system to use such features on? I have the 60 Gb PS3, and I've never used the memory card reader, SD slot, or any of that. I don't have any Blu-Ray movies either. While on the latter that might be more unusual, how many people use the former? Even with the wireless adapter I got for my 360, it was still cheaper than my PS3. And if all you want to do is play games, than the 360 is cheaper every time, regardless.

You also seem to be forgetting about compression and procedural generation. Have you heard of .kkrieger? It takes up 97 kilobytes, and it looks pretty good for those 97 kilobytes.