Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Threads like this one have been a part of the waiting process for several years.

---------------------
UPDATE SEP 17

More UPS Flight Tracking Links

https://planefinder.net/data/airline/5X

https://flightaware.com
-----------------------

From last year - this seems to still be active:

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/iphone

"Once you've received your UPS tracking number from Apple, use this page to figure out what flight is carrying your iPhone or Apple Watch. The “departure scan” in your UPS tracking should match the departure time for a flight listed below."

This was also a resource from last year. Will update this message if they create a new page:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/31/iphone-x-tracking/

If they use UPS and same origin airport as last year, this was from my tracking:

LOCATION DATE LOCAL TIME ACTIVITY
ZhengZhou, China 11/02/2017 7:53 P.M. Origin Scan

Last edited:
Reactions: karmamule

dweb619

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
WV USA!!!
They will get in the US late this weekend. Spend a few days being sent to all of the major UPS hubs. Thursday they will arrive at your local UPS carrier center and Friday they will be put on the trucks and then our door steps. It's been like this since the iPhone 5 if I remember correctly.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
They will get in the US late this weekend. Spend a few days being sent to all of the major UPS hubs. Thursday they will arrive at your local UPS carrier center and Friday they will be put on the trucks and then our door steps. It's been like this since the iPhone 5 if I remember correctly.
Sounds right. We should be getting shipped messages with tracking numbers within the next day or so.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
upload_2018-9-14_7-16-55.png

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
You could say that again. I hate it say it but time is mile ahead of Jobs when it comes to product launching and making sure that there are has few hiccups has there there can be.
To be fair, the current system/procedures have benefitted from the previous problems and lessons learned. Even last year there were issues with the website coming up late, etc. This year it was extremely smooth.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Does UPS require signature for iPhone home delivery? Do they allow for delivery scheduling?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I was doing a pre-order at Apple.com for store pickup at my selected store on an XS Max Gold 512GB. There were none available; only for delivery which I prefer not to do. However, I saw there were 9 XS Gold 512GB available for store pickup on 9/21. Have any of you who ordered the XS Max in any color have success picking up in-store on 9/21?

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Does UPS require signature for iPhone home delivery? Do they allow for delivery scheduling?
I think the signature is at the discretion of the driver. Last year there was a different driver and I met the truck at the street. He did not require a signature from me but he wanted to see me go into my house to make sure I was ok. After you get a tracking number, go to the UPS site to see options. You might need to sign up for a free UPS account and/or call them to see your delivery options.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I have UPS My Choice and it automatically bypasses shipping to my residence in favor of Access Point that I've previously designated. This is my first time receiving an iPhone so I was wondering has anyone here used UPS My Choice and access points and what's your experience around this time?

Reactions: arkzrlo

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
After going through this on every new iPhone, I am glad to just wait and have it delivered Friday morning to my office. I understand the excitement, I have not forgot how it feels but have a business to run.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
What shipping service does AT&T use to ship their iPhone's? Will I have the option to have my package held at UPS or Fed Ex?

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
What shipping service does AT&T use to ship their iPhone's? Will I have the option to have my package held at UPS or Fed Ex?
Not sure about AT&T, but if they ship UPS, then from what I recall, you can through their website request it be held at a UPS facility. You might need to set up a free UPS account to do this. I believe there is a similar feature with FedEx. You can always call their customer service numbers and the latest, accurate information.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Not sure about AT&T, but if they ship UPS, then from what I recall, you can through their website request it be held at a UPS facility. You might need to set up a free UPS account to do this. I believe there is a similar feature with FedEx. You can always call their customer service numbers and the latest, accurate information.
I have both the free services from Fed Ex and UPS. I get emails when packages are due to arrive at my home. I'm hoping I can divert the iPhone shipment to a UPS or Fed EX facility and pick it up. Otherwise I won't be home Friday and I don't want them to leave a slip and attempt to deliver the following day.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have UPS My Choice and it automatically bypasses shipping to my residence in favor of Access Point that I've previously designated. This is my first time receiving an iPhone so I was wondering has anyone here used UPS My Choice and access points and what's your experience around this time?

I used it for both the iPhone X and HonePod both on launch days. I was in a line of about 15 or so for the iPhone and pretty much the only one there for the HomePod. It was pretty streamlined.

One of the employees told me that they hate iPhone launch day because they are swamped with people picking things up at 8:30am when they open. :)

JGD95

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2018
If I choose to have my package held at UPS, do I have them hold it at the main hub or at the shipping center before its dispatched for delivery?

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
If I choose to have my package held at UPS, do I have them hold it at the main hub or at the shipping center before its dispatched for delivery?

I'm curious about this too. For the first time I want to have it held at UPS to pickup but how do I know which location to choose for morning pickup on Friday?

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I don't often use this feature, so my recollection may not be accurate. But I think you can have it held at the nearest UPS facility. That would typically be where the UPS trucks are located. You may be able to have it directed to a UPS Store (formerly Mail Boxes etc.) but not sure. Just give them a call at 1-888-742-5877. There are many questions answered at ups.com as well.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Departure information should soon be available to start tracking.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I haven’t done this because I have had almost all my previous phones shipped to store. This time it’s coming to my house, so I’m excited to track it!

cfairbank

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2006
Starting to wonder if the Typhoon blowing through Hong Kong might delay some phones being shipped from ShinZhen. They route through Hong Kong then to Alaska then to Louisville UPS. Have watched many of my proorder iPhone originate from ShinZhen starting the Monday or Tuesday even as late as Wednesday before being delivered on Friday.

“Hong Kong's famed Victoria Harbor was also hit with a storm surge of more than 3.9 meters (12.8 feet) above chart datum on Sunday. More than 550 flights at airports in Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou were also canceled, according to Flightaware.com.”

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-china-hong-kong-intl/index.html

John-F

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Starting to wonder if the Typhoon blowing through Hong Kong might delay some phones being shipped from ShinZhen. They route through Hong Kong then to Alaska then to Louisville UPS. Have watched many of my proorder iPhone originate from ShinZhen starting the Monday or Tuesday even as late as Wednesday before being delivered on Friday.

“Hong Kong's famed Victoria Harbor was also hit with a storm surge of more than 3.9 meters (12.8 feet) above chart datum on Sunday. More than 550 flights at airports in Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou were also canceled, according to Flightaware.com.”

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-china-hong-kong-intl/index.html
Anything is possible but last year mine and some others had this (not going near Hong Kong):

ZhengZhou, China 11/02/2017 11:10 P.M. Departure Scan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhengzhou_Xinzheng_International_Airport

Went from there to S. Korea then to Alaska, then Louisville.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.