Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2009
Everyone who purchases an iPhone 4 up to September 30 gets a free case. What happens to those who purchase after that day? What could they have up their sleeve? (other than not giving away free cases)

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
What does that September 30th date mean?

So, Steve is saying that people who have purchased or will purchase an iPhone up until September 30th 2010 will get a free bumper. However, why won't users afterwards get it?

Is it because:

1. Those users are on notice and should have purchased the phone before the date so that they can get a bumper

or

2. is it because apple is going to change the design either internally or externally to alleviate or permanently fix the problem and therefore the necessity of giving out a free bumper will not be there?

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
That is what it seems like to me and I am not sure why they aren't saying that.

I doubt any of the reporters in the conference will ask, but someone should ask Jobs why that is the case.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
I vote # 2 - it is exactly what I thought when I saw through Sept. - by then all stock of bad phones will be depleted, the new fix (most likely internal so harder to prove) will be done and those that still have the issue will call apple, get a refurbed/newly fixed and the issue is faded in to the apple sunset.

khong1010

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
San Jose, CA
just like antenna song, if you dont like how it works, then dont buy it.

I highly doubt apple is going to change its internal design w/o letting ppl know.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Someone somewhat asked the question I was looking for:

"10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that."

So, it seems they will reevaluate the issue, but does that mean they may give out replacement phones to current users? Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Reefbone

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that.

Jinx?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Someone somewhat asked the question I was looking for:

"10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that."

So, it seems they will reevaluate the issue, but does that mean they may give out replacement phones to current users? Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Seen to be a internal revision of the hardware, sincen it look like enough time for a re certification, don't expect any swap out programs

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
heres what steve said in the Q and A

Q: After September 30th, is it because after then you expect people to buy a free case?
Steve: It’s so we can reevaluate this in September, I have no idea what solutions may come up.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good point. That may be what happens.

No doubt tome there is a revision underwork....after this answer

Q: Is there a hardware redesign in this generation that could fix this problem?
A: You can go on the web and look at pictures of Nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say "don't touch here" -- you can go on YouTube and see these. We should you three phones today, all good phones. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem. Would I like Apple to be first? Yes. Can we make it better right now? Maybe, we'll see.

I am returning my phone and waiting......

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
No doubt tome there is a revision underwork....after this answer

Q: Is there a hardware redesign in this generation that could fix this problem?
A: You can go on the web and look at pictures of Nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say "don't touch here" -- you can go on YouTube and see these. We should you three phones today, all good phones. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem. Would I like Apple to be first? Yes. Can we make it better right now? Maybe, we'll see.

I am returning my phone and waiting......

Does anyone know if you can go back to your 3G or 3Gs without contract issues?

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
here's what steve said

Q: After September 30th, is it because after then you expect people to buy a free case?
Steve: It’s so we can reevaluate this in September, I have no idea what solutions may come up.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
here's what steve said

and also said "can we make it better now? maybe, we'll see".

So it sounds like they are considering hardware changes but don't have anything concrete to announce yet.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
it marks the end of the 3rd quarter. so all the losses will be contained in that quarter only, as another poster from another thread pointed out. which clearly makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.