September 30 and before - What does this date mean?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Jul 16, 2010.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

Everyone who purchases an iPhone 4 up to September 30 gets a free case. What happens to those who purchase after that day? What could they have up their sleeve? (other than not giving away free cases)

2. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

What does that September 30th date mean?

So, Steve is saying that people who have purchased or will purchase an iPhone up until September 30th 2010 will get a free bumper. However, why won't users afterwards get it?

Is it because:

1. Those users are on notice and should have purchased the phone before the date so that they can get a bumper

or

2. is it because apple is going to change the design either internally or externally to alleviate or permanently fix the problem and therefore the necessity of giving out a free bumper will not be there?

3. willski macrumors newbie

i think it just marks the end of the third quarter.

4. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

That is what it seems like to me and I am not sure why they aren't saying that.

I doubt any of the reporters in the conference will ask, but someone should ask Jobs why that is the case.

5. brvheart macrumors 6502

I vote # 2 - it is exactly what I thought when I saw through Sept. - by then all stock of bad phones will be depleted, the new fix (most likely internal so harder to prove) will be done and those that still have the issue will call apple, get a refurbed/newly fixed and the issue is faded in to the apple sunset.

6. hippyharry macrumors regular

7. khong1010 macrumors member

just like antenna song, if you dont like how it works, then dont buy it.

I highly doubt apple is going to change its internal design w/o letting ppl know.

8. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

I overlooked that. Regardless, I do wonder if there will in fact be a change in the iphone 4's design to alleviate or permanently do away with the design flaw.

9. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Someone somewhat asked the question I was looking for:

"10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
    Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that."

So, it seems they will reevaluate the issue, but does that mean they may give out replacement phones to current users? Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

10. Reefbone macrumors regular

10:53AM Q: On the September 30th date, is that to let people know that you'll have to buy a case?
    Steve: Not really, we'll reevaluate then. Maybe we'll have a better idea. Maybe Eminem will come out with a band-aid that goes over the corner and everyone will want that.

Jinx?

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Seen to be a internal revision of the hardware, sincen it look like enough time for a re certification, don't expect any swap out programs

12. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Good point. That may be what happens.

13. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

heres what steve said in the Q and A

Q: After September 30th, is it because after then you expect people to buy a free case?
    Steve: It’s so we can reevaluate this in September, I have no idea what solutions may come up.

14. iphoneZ macrumors regular

Sept 30 = hardware fix!!!?

Let the rumor mills begin!

15. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

16. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No doubt tome there is a revision underwork....after this answer

Q: Is there a hardware redesign in this generation that could fix this problem?
    A: You can go on the web and look at pictures of Nokia phones that ship with stickers on the back that say "don't touch here" -- you can go on YouTube and see these. We should you three phones today, all good phones. So right now the state of the art of the entire industry is that no one has solved this problem. Would I like Apple to be first? Yes. Can we make it better right now? Maybe, we'll see.

I am returning my phone and waiting......

17. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if you can go back to your 3G or 3Gs without contract issues?

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

here's what steve said

Q: After September 30th, is it because after then you expect people to buy a free case?
    Steve: It’s so we can reevaluate this in September, I have no idea what solutions may come up.

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah you can cancel your contract with out penalties on or before 30 days form the beginning of the contract

20. Krandor macrumors 6502

and also said "can we make it better now? maybe, we'll see".

So it sounds like they are considering hardware changes but don't have anything concrete to announce yet.

21. aohus macrumors 68000

it marks the end of the 3rd quarter. so all the losses will be contained in that quarter only, as another poster from another thread pointed out. which clearly makes sense.