Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Music software company Serato has updated DJ Pro and DJ Lite to bring full support for macOS Catalina, which ditches iTunes in favor of a new standalone Music app.

serato-dj-pro.jpg

The elimination of iTunes had an immediate impact on DJs who relied on the software to access their music libraries via XML playlist files. That's because the new Music app uses a different library format that isn't compatible with XML, which led companies like Serato and Native Instruments to advise users against upgrading to Catalina.

Fortunately, Serato's updated software works with Apple's new Music app, and libraries in Music can automatically load in the latest versions of Serato DJ Pro and DJ Lite.

Serato has also update Serato Studio for Catalina, but users will have to wait a bit longer for full Catalina support across all of Serato's software.

According to The Verge, Serato Sample and Pitch 'n Time Pro and LE are still not compatible with Catalina, but the company is actively working on updates.

Also, Serato has warned about some DJ hardware from its partners that still doesn't work with the new OS, and the status on that is said to be "out of Serato's control."

Both paid and free versions of the new DJ Pro and Lite software are available to download from Serato now.

Article Link: Serato DJ Pro and DJ Lite Now Compatible With macOS Catalina

• Love
Reactions: Markobes

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2011
The one App that made me wait with the update on my music-only-macbook. Thanks for the info!

Just make sure you test for a few hours before going live with it. Just because Serato updated their software doesn’t mean it’s completely stable on Catalina.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The one App that made me wait with the update on my music-only-macbook. Thanks for the info!

Lucky day for Serato users for sure. Unfortunately I’m still waiting for Pioneer to update Rekordbox myself so who knows when I’ll be able to update to Catalina ?

Reactions: efktd

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Lucky day for Serato users for sure. Unfortunately I’m still waiting for Pioneer to update Rekordbox myself so who knows when I’ll be able to update to Catalina ?
Rekordbox works fine on Catalina, the only caveat is the iTunes XML file is not read. So, if you don't use that function, it is good to go. Although, if playing out live make sure you test run first. Traktor have a beta of Pro 3 out that is Cat' compliant too...

Reactions: Markobes and Icaras

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Rekordbox works fine on Catalina, the only caveat is the iTunes XML file is not read. So, if you don't use that function, it is good to go. Although, if playing out live make sure you test run first. Traktor have a beta of Pro 3 out that is Cat' compliant too...

Yea, I knew it worked before because I had beta 1 but had to roll back to Mojave because my Mac bricked. But thanks, I made the jump and upgraded to Catalina today. I’ll just manually sync any set until Pioneer releases an update (which hopefully is soon...!)

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The elimination of iTunes had an immediate impact on DJs who relied on the software to access their music libraries via XML playlist files.

Immediate impact? ...only if they dashed out and upgraded to Catalina as soon as it came out, without checking to see if their mission-critical software was supported (the removal of iTunes was well-publicised), let alone the courageous decision not to wait for at least the .1 or .2 release...

Of course, the irresponsible encouragement, including nag screens, from Apple to do just that doesn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.