Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calyxman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
What a fight! Props to Peter Manfredo. He gave it his best.

The bronze fight was also good between Alfonso and Jesse, but the championship round was where it was at!

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Maybe next time you could try a headline like "SPOILER - Contender finale" so as not to ruin it for those of us who have tivos or live on the west coast. :mad:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I've seen The Contender right from the beginning so it's quite a surprise someone like Sergio came out of nowhere to win the championship title.

In the premiere episode, I was rooting for Alfonso Gomez and Peter Manfredo, but they were pitted against each other right from the get go. Both PM and SM are great fighters with big hearts, so whoever wins, they really do deserve it.

Anyone know how much money the runner up gets?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Flowbee said:
Maybe next time you could try a headline like "SPOILER - Contender finale" so as not to ruin it for those of us who have tivos or live on the west coast. :mad:
That's why I avoid surfing the net whenever there's a finale like Survivor, or some other show that gets delayed for the West Coast. I stay away from sites like Yahoo News since they tend to screw it up for the west coast viewers.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
Good fight? Are you joking? It looked like the worst pay off fight ever . Manfredo could have done a better acting job man. It looked like he had never boxed once in his life. The guy was not conditioned, no indurance no stamina he was shot after the 2nd round laying his head down on the other very cocky sergio who I dont like whatsoever.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i don't think any ammount of training could ever really improve anyone's indurance level....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

it didn't look like a payoff fight at all. have you ever seen middleweight fights? manfredo fought with the same style as his other bouts. he's not a quick fighter.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
gwuMACaddict said:
manfredo fought with the same style as his other bouts. he's not a quick fighter.

Emphasis mine.

Gee.... Minor understatement.

Gomez would have come through his match with Manfredo had he kept his goddamn hands up and taken Manfredo's reach advantage more seriously.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
ha- yeah, they're both as slow as turtles compared to most middleweight fighters... pretty sure that gomez has a chin wired with steal though... he doesn't block punches with his hands, he uses his head.

all in all i thought it was an excellent show, dissapointed that it won't be back... hope maybe it stirs up some excitement for boxing in this country again.

and with the new russel crowe movie too- that might help...

they need to stop letting tyson fight and make the sport respectable again.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
hmmm... that sucks...

i didn't start the thread (as you can see) but still feel kinda bad. it's still worth watching though!

i didn't know that shows were so delayed over there...

weird :confused:

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
gwuMACaddict said:
hmmm... that sucks...

i didn't start the thread (as you can see) but still feel kinda bad. it's still worth watching though!

i didn't know that shows were so delayed over there...

weird :confused:

I'm in california and it airs tonight. I just don't care enough to be upset by spoilers.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I love the show and i have been following it too right from the start, just wish i didn't know who was gonna win!
Seriously tho, next time don't start a spoiling thread like this with the blummin spoiler in the thread title, kinda hard to miss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.