Serial # Concern (Selling on Craigslist or Ebay)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by modernart, Aug 16, 2009.

1. modernart macrumors member

So I want to sell the ipod touch i received from the macbook pro promotion, but i wanna know if there is a safety issue i should be worried about, in terms of the ipod touch's serial number and who it belongs to, etc.

the ipod touch is brand new and has never been opened.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Your asking if you have a security issue purely because the iPod has a serial number, even if you never use the iPod? No, you don't. People occasionally raise concerns about providing someone the serial number off an iPod or iPhone so they can verify it isn't stolen (but I think that is relatively harmless) and also for iPods or iPhones that were used with certain software that uses one of the unique identifiers (I think it might actually be the UIUD and not the SN) to log users in -- you could unregister yourself pretty easily. But if you never used that software on the product, it's definitely not a concern.

So if you're just selling the iPod, no, you don't have to worry about the S/N....

3. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe that so long as you have not opened it, apple has no way to tie the serial number to you. I don't really think you have anything to worry about.

4. modernart thread starter macrumors member

Okay, sounds good. My biggest worry was selling it to someone and that person turning around trying to get my personal info via the serial number or that person going to the Apple store and scamming them by trying to return it under my serial number

I am curious about this as well. Can someone confirm it? And yes, I have NEVER opened/used/turned on the ipod touch.

I also received my rebate already for the ipod touch from Apple, if that makes a difference

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You don't have a serial number if you sell the iPod -- the serial number belongs to the iPod... you surrender it with the iPod. I don't think that scenario is too likely, but if it really concerns you, you can keep some kind of proof of sale (like the e-mails or whatever if you sell online, or make some kind of receipt).

I think if you buy it directly from Apple, Apple sales has a record of the serial number associated with your sale, but again, this is all really unimportant. Computers and cell phones and things like iPods have had serial numbers ever since they came into existence, and it's never mattered before, and it doesn't matter now. As long as you have legal rights to sell it (e.g. you actually own it and it doesn't belong to someone else), all of this is a non-issue. Just don't worry about it.

6. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Apple asks for the address of the owner when you first call into Applecare so unless there is some deep conspiracy going on I would assume that there is no connection with you and the Ipod if you never used it. Even if you used it I don't see what can go wrong.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also if the buyer tries to return the iPod the money goes back you. :p

8. modernart thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. What everyone has been saying does truly make sense.

Is anyone familiar with the warranty?

I called a local apple store and asked if i were to sell my ipod touch to someone else, how does the warranty work? and the worker said as long as its within the year, everything is okay, and that the name of the person is irrelevant.

now my issue is, does the warranty replace the ipod touch if damaged?

9. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It does not cover damage. It only covers defects. Same with any other Apple product.

10. modernart thread starter macrumors member

I see. So the person who buys my ipod touch will not be able to exchange it or have it replaced at Apple if anything were to go wrong with it in the next year?

11. chan2004 macrumors regular

I always keep a complete record of all mail sent to the prospective buyer.

The threat is more with using it for illegal actvities.

Lets take a case where some one buys anything from you and uses it for illegal activities. The authorities if they find the Serial number can easily cross verify with apple to see who bought it in the first place.

I believe that apple keeps a complete record of serial number and the person it was originally sold.

Better to be careful than sorry

12. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Again: it covers defects, not user damage. Meaning that if the iPod stops working of its own accord, or fails in some way, then yes, Apple will replace it. If, however, the iPod gets dropped in a volcano or used as a football, then they won't.

13. modernart thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i have records of my receipt. i will take note to keep emails sent between myself and the buyer.

HOWEVER

When the buyer (from craigslist or ebay) uses the ipod touch, wouldn't they have to register it with their name, email, and the serial number when they first turn on the ipod touch? which i never did with it, because i never used it.

14. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Lol no offense but you are way over-complicating this entire thing.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Everything has a serial number and things moderately expensive will have a serial number on the outside of the box for everyone to see and write down if they wanted to. They are completely useless to people which is why you dont see people going around writing down serial numbers at Best Buy. They allow stores to make sure the item being returned is the same item that was bought since people sometimes try to switch broken stuff with new and then get their money back, and they allow companies to verify the product is still under warranty.

Serial numbers are worthless and Im sure its a crime for companies to attach any type of valuable information to serial numbers that are so easy to get a hold of.

16. omarjk macrumors regular

All your doing is flogging a piece of entertainment equipment. Look around at classifieds where people are selling computers, which allow people who are that way inclined to hack into government computer systems. They are not fretting over the infinitesimally small chance of this happening.

Just ask yourself what kind of illegal activities you imagine the purchaser getting up to with the Touch. They could use it as a weapon, I suppose, but I'm struggling to think of how that would be a problem unless the aggressor is unknown to the victim, you share a resemblance with the purchaser and you find yourself without an alibi at the time of the gadget-attack.

Apart from that you'll be fine. Avoid letting Fox News get into your mind, body and soul.