Serial # Not Showing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creator2456, Dec 26, 2008.

1. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I just got my MBP back from a Logic Board replacement (bad video card - thread here) and the serial number is not showing up in About This Mac or in System Profiler (see attachment).

Should I be concerned or is the # stored on the Logic Board and wasn't/couldn't be updated on the new one?

Attached Files:

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

It never shows up when the logic board is replaced. It's normal, so nothing to worry about.

3. Kaupa macrumors regular

Thats wrong!
    The service provider is able to write back the SN once!
    He did it last time my logicbord got replaced and i was aside and had a look:)

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

It does seem very common for the SN not to be set after a logic board replacement, though it /can/ be set.. I've seen the service disc that does it.

5. Tosser macrumors 68030

Well, perhaps so, but they have not done so on any of the numerous logic boards I have had exhanged, and Apple themselves told me that they never do.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

They usually don't.

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

I actually took my machine to Apple after I replaced the logicboard myself and told them the serial number wasn't showing up. The guy at the genius part put in the CD and put the serial number back on the machine for me. I was very surprised that he did it, given that I did the repair myself. The moral of the story is, yes, some will do it.

8. creator2456 thread starter macrumors 68000

creator2456

I may just try my luck at the GB after the holiday rush. Not having the SN easily accessible is rubbing my OCD nerve and it doesn't feel good.

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

When the logic board on my PowerBook was replaced, they put in the serial number, but it was in all lowercase! It bugged me so much!!

10. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Serial numbers

A friend had his Main Logic Board (MLB) replaced by one of the retail stores - they forgot to re-serialize the new MLB (apparently they come blank until the Genius sets it.)

Often they forget, but its policy to set it.

They should also have a little sticker showing the new MAC address for any built-in ethernet ports.

F