serial number and your display type

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbps, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ftbps macrumors member

I will be returning my MBP with 9c85 panel and i want a 9c84 (LG) panel. Teh tech guy from apple online mentioned that he might be able to check some of the components/ hardware using the serial number.

Do you guys thing that this is possible. I do not want to take chances an dget a 9c85 panel. I want LG screen and want to make sure in advance. Please get back.
    Thanks,
    Bipin

2. Crash1234 macrumors regular

So, the only reason you're returning your macbook is b/c it has an 85 panel? You'll probably have to pay the restocking fee for it since it's not defective. Have you seen and compared these two screens or do you just have lg lust b/c of what you've read? Honestly, in the mbp's I've seen, the 85 panel is just as good if not better than the lg 84 panel. In fact, I went through two mbp's with the 84 pannel that both had horrible stripes of white light going up the center (returned). I'm just saying you might get something that is worse than what you have now. But anyway, I don't think there is a way to check display model through the serial number, but if you're totally set on searching for an LG panel then it can't hurt to try.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Next thing you know, folks will be returning perfectly functioning MBPs because they objected to the HD manufacturer. It could only happen in an Apple world...

4. bigdb11 macrumors regular

How can you tell which screen you have?

5. Crash1234 macrumors regular

Go into system preferences and click on displays, the click the color tab, then open profile. Once there scroll down to number 13 and click it, then look where it says model. If you've got an 85 screen jump for joy. I'd trade my crappy 84 screen for an 85 any day. But after seeing even worse 84 screens and a bunch of other problems..

6. Ploki macrumors 68020

i have 84 and i cant say there's anything wrong with it...
    besides, everything else is flawless. wouldnt send it back for nothinh

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have never returned a computer because of the HD, but I have taken a couple brand new macs and replaced the OEM Maxtors with Seagates.

8. allanibanez macrumors regular

Oh dear. Heres some advice...keep your MBP with the 85. Whilst responses have been mixed over which is the "better" screen the majority of people who haven't compared the two side by side have jumped on the 84 bandwagon simply because it is LG.

As for the people who have seen both side by side, they general reponse is that the 84 is a bit brighter but in terms of colour accuracy and decent blacks, the 85 seems to the be the winner. In terms of bleeding, both have their issues, but the 85's is around the edges of the screen whereas the LG is in lines across the middle.

Obviously there are good and bad versions of both of these, but returning one simply because you "want" an 84 is absolutely ludicrous.

I have the 85 and have it set up with the sRGB colour profile supplied on the MBP. Use this profile with either screen and the results will be near enough identical - hence apple uses these two screen types, because they are so similar.