Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
I got a really good deal on a 2009 Mac Pro today but the chassis is pretty scratched up and a bit bent. Everything works (tested it thoroughly before purchasing) but I'd like to order a new chassis and swap the components.

My concern is that the serial number sticker with the barcodes is on the chassis and I can't seem to find any information on how to order a new one to stick on to the new chassis.

What do people do in these situations? I assume that if Apple was the one directly replacing the chassis they would ensure a new sticker with all the information was placed on it right?

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
I spoke to an Apple supervisor who tried his best but apparently everyone he spoke with told him there was no way to get a new ID sticker.

I can't believe that if I was having a Genius bar technician do this chassis swap that they would give me back the computer with no ID sticker. There must be some way to get this and I think it's pretty important as when I go to sell the machine the buyer would want to ensure that sticker is present.

Any ideas?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I can't believe that if I was having a Genius bar technician do this chassis swap that they would give me back the computer with no ID sticker.

Typically, the serial number label is peeled off the old enclosure and reapplied to the new one.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
That was my initial thought, however once you peel off a sticker, it generally won't adhere again (or at least not very well). Any suggestions of how to remove it without hurting it and methods of re-applying so it sticks properly?

iMac-Do-You?

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Brexitland
Removing it should be easy enough, gently get under one corner of it with something small and sharp like a needle, enough to grab between thumbnail and finger, and pull very slowly and carefully.

For re-attaching you could use double sided tape, or even a small amount of super/crazy glue.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I spoke to an Apple supervisor who tried his best but apparently everyone he spoke with told him there was no way to get a new ID sticker.

I can't believe that if I was having a Genius bar technician do this chassis swap that they would give me back the computer with no ID sticker. There must be some way to get this and I think it's pretty important as when I go to sell the machine the buyer would want to ensure that sticker is present.

Any ideas?

Maybe instead of trying to preserve the original sticker (difficult) or getting a new sticker (impossible), try taking photographs of the original sticker to prove you have it in your possession, should you ever need to sell it. Maybe a photo of the serial number with your face in it, with a current newspaper or something. Like it's a ransom photo!

What's the deal with you needing a sticker anyway? The machine is too old for Apple Care to be an issue. After a certain age, I would think it doesn't matter.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Maybe instead of trying to preserve the original sticker (difficult) or getting a new sticker (impossible), try taking photographs of the original sticker to prove you have it in your possession, should you ever need to sell it. Maybe a photo of the serial number with your face in it, with a current newspaper or something. Like it's a ransom photo!

What's the deal with you needing a sticker anyway? The machine is too old for Apple Care to be an issue. After a certain age, I would think it doesn't matter.

Applecare isn't the issue. I am overhauling this machine and turning it into a 5,1 with dual 6-core 3.46 Westmere procs and 32GB of RAM. It's going to be a brand-new machine that will last many years. When we go to sell it down the road I want to get as much as I can for it (hence the new chassis and ensuring everything is in flawless condition from the get-go).

If I was looking at a used Mac Pro and it didn't have the ID sticker on the chassis, there would be a lot of questions and hesitations on my end, regardless of the seller's explanation. I am trying to avoid all of those scenarios and do things as properly as possible.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Applecare isn't the issue. I am overhauling this machine and turning it into a 5,1 with dual 6-core 3.46 Westmere procs and 32GB of RAM. It's going to be a brand-new machine that will last many years. When we go to sell it down the road I want to get as much as I can for it (hence the new chassis and ensuring everything is in flawless condition from the get-go).

If I was looking at a used Mac Pro and it didn't have the ID sticker on the chassis, there would be a lot of questions and hesitations on my end, regardless of the seller's explanation. I am trying to avoid all of those scenarios and do things as properly as possible.

Ok I understand now. Sounds reasonable. I'd say if you can't get a sticker, take photographic evidence that you did have the sticker at one point, and that it was on a chassis that you wanted to replace. Maybe even try to take the sticker off and keep it, even though it would be impossible to place it on the new chassis and have it look original.

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
You said "order a new chassis" - does Apple actually still sell new cases? Or are you looking for a used case in better condition? I can't imagine it would be worth the expense for a new one - you won't recoup that much on resale.

If you get a used one, it will of course have its own serial sticker. If I were in the market for a flashed/processor upgraded 2009, matching serial numbers would be pretty low on my list of concerns - motherboard swap/repairs happen all the time. I'd say if you keep photos or just keep the old case around and explain the situation, a buyer shouldn't have much of a problem with it. Peeling the old one off and trying to re-glue it would just look shadier.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Yes, you can order a brand new chassis from MacPalace.com who sells new parts for most all models. It's $145 plus shipping. Well worth it, especially since I'm turning it into a very powerful machine that's worth quite a bit.

I like the hairdryer idea. Going to try that. Thanks!

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Yes, you can order a brand new chassis from MacPalace.com who sells new parts for most all models. It's $145 plus shipping. Well worth it, especially since I'm turning it into a very powerful machine that's worth quite a bit.

I like the hairdryer idea. Going to try that. Thanks!

Just so you know, MacPalace rarely has new parts. They do not list it whether it is new/used under the item. I have bought the 145 2010 case before. It is a used part and does have scratches. Also be warned of the numerous complaints about macpalace for returns and cheating customers out of money. Not worth it imo.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Just so you know, MacPalace rarely has new parts. They do not list it whether it is new/used under the item. I have bought the 145 2010 case before. It is a used part and does have scratches. Also be warned of the numerous complaints about macpalace for returns and cheating customers out of money. Not worth it imo.

Thanks for the info. There was another member here at Macrumors who also complained about Mac Palace and they do "Bait and Switch"
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20562895/

And there are also negative reviews HERE. I guess we always need to do some research and ask other people before buying.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Thanks all. I'm cancelling my order with Mac Palace. Too bad. Seemed like a pretty cool company, at least at first glance, but after reading one bad review after another and seeing an F rating from the BBB, I'm getting out before they charge me for anything.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks all. I'm cancelling my order with Mac Palace. Too bad. Seemed like a pretty cool company, at least at first glance, but after reading one bad review after another and seeing an F rating from the BBB, I'm getting out before they charge me for anything.

If you are still looking for a new mac pro enclosure, here is a link that is guaranteed to be new.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/922-9631...09,-Mid-2010,-and-Mid-2012---NEW-p-37538.html

The price for the item is not listed. I contacted them earlier this year and the price request for it is $495 not including shipping.

From the email:
We can special order a new one from apple - will be $495.00

Let us know if you like to order one

Carol Ravaghi
DvWarehouse
747 Seward St
Los Angeles,CA 90038
323/463-5005
323-463-5008 Fax
Carol@dvwarehouse.com

At this price, I don't think it's worth it, but it's up to you to make that call. Good luck.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
I appreciate that, but at $495 plus shipping, it's not worth it. At that price I'd be more likely to buy another 2009 with a nice chassis and swap out the hard drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.