Serial number on two machines question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ewoh24, Jun 8, 2007.

1. ewoh24 macrumors regular

Hi-

We have a Quad G5 machine here at work that has Final Cut Pro on it. I need to do a test on a PowerMac G4 to determine whether or not it will be fast enough to do some exporting from to be a media creation machine. Rather than take Final Cut off of the G5 to do a test that will maybe take two hours or so, can I install FCP on the G4 for that amount of time without causing a serious licensing issue? I know you're not supposed to have one license on two machines but if it works we'll order the full copy. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks.

2. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

The main problem you'll run into is the fact that it is impossible to run the same licensed copy on 2 machines on the same network at the same time. The second machine won't let the application start, and will give you a window stating the reasons why.

Just run the Powermac G4 off the network for your test, and then buy a new license if it runs to your liking.

3. ewoh24 thread starter macrumors regular

I didnt realize you could do that. So you just network to the G5 and run the app from there? Will that affect the speed of the export at all?

4. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

Not quite what I meant. Install it on the G4, but don't run both machines at the same time on the same network.