Serial Number Privacy Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yossarian99, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Yossarian99 macrumors newbie

Hi first post cause I have a question about the new Macbook I bought. I noticed that the serial number is indicated under the "About this Mac" system information view.

I will primarily be using this laptop for travel. As Leopard is brand new, there have been several updates. If you run System Update, does the laptop transmit the serial number along with the system information when updating? If my own friends dont know where I will be, I dont particularly want Apple to know or be able to locate me either. Granted I dont need to run system update, but its my smooth new Mac so I want it to be up to date.

Would installing Leopard from a formatted build remove the serial or is it somehow built in via a ROM chip or something? I know that the serial is underneath the battery and thats cool. Anyways, thanks in advance!

I might post my next question in regards to Quicksilver, but first I'll try and browse before I ask.

2. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

So what kind of illegal work do you specialize in? :eek:

The serial number is either in the firmware or the hardware. It's not part of the OS.

3. Yossarian99 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing illegal, except for the whole secret spy business i am in, but i cant discuss that. I just plan to travel around asia and the south pacific and if im getting free wi-fi, I dont want my registered laptop telling apple where i am.

but thanks i believe.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This is becoming a common practice among hardware manufacturers that tie in their OS. Cell phones, MP3 players and increasingly, computers are now all aware of their own serial numbers.

No it does not. I don't even think it transmits system information.

Your Mac keeps an inventory of the software components it has, and when it checks for updates, it runs a check to see if those specific components have updates available. Your configuration is not explicitly sent to Apple.

To be blunt, I don't think Apple really cares where you are. :)

Well, you need to make a choice then: assuage your paranoia and don't check for updates, or take off the foil hat and let it update freely. It's up to you.

It's built in. A clean install of Leopard will still allow it to view the system configuration and the serial number.

5. Yossarian99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again, is there any way I can close my own thread? I presume not. No further replies necessary!