Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BossofMASS, Mar 5, 2008.

1. BossofMASS macrumors member

Im planning on selling my computer soon, however I have a question regarding my computer's serial number. When i took my computer into the apple store for minor repairs, the employee at the desk was able top retrieve my information from the serial number, such as name, address, phone, date of purchase, etc. Is there some procedure I need to follow when selling so my information will not be accessible?

Thanks,

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Yes, you'll have to transfer the Applecare to the new owner. I don't exactly remember how but there's instructions in Applecare support material.

3. f1 macrumors 6502

This information is only accesible by Applecare, Apple Store Geniuses and Managers and Apple Authorized Repair Centres. It's used only for the soley of contacting you for repairs.

EDIT: nvm i misinterpretated your post. Call Applecare and tell them you want to transfer the ownership on your computer they will send you the necessary paperwork.

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Was this a retail Apple Store? They may have more information then the average 3rd party Apple repair center. All repair centers do have some access to very basic information off of the serial number IE case #s, previous repairs, and date of purchase. I am surprised that they have access to your name and other details, however Apple (brick and mortar) stores may have access to Apple's central registration network. I bet a simple call to Apple Customer Care 1-800-SOS-APPL would be able to answer your question on removing that information form your serial number.