Serial Port Printers under OS 9/NWR Mac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Sep 2, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm having an issue that I feel like should have a stupid, obvious solution but I'm completely lost.

I have a B&W G3 running OS 9.2.1 and a steal serial port in place of the modem.

Sitting right next to it is a fully functional Apple Laserwriter Select.

The two are connected together by a known good DB-9 cable.

The issue I'm having is that neither seems to be aware of the existence of the other :) . I can't find a control panel or anything of the sort that will allow me to access the serial port and print to the printer.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have you tried using OS9's printer setup utility instead of trying to find the printer in Chooser?

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks...

I did install the Stealth extension, which apparently I was missing, and then rebooted.

I went through the set-up utility, but I still seem to be having issues with the computer seeing the printer.

I don't know-perhaps I'll save it for another day. The ultimate goal is to be able to use it with my G5, but it's probably going to be easier to just haul in a beige machine and save the headaches. I'm just trying to make it work with what I have on hand now.

4. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I got the printer to work with a recently acquired beige G3(G4) that's set up next to the B&W in question.

After doing a little bit of reading, I first enabled the Laserwriter 8 extension(which a previous owner had disabled) and selected "Laserwriter 8" under Chooser. The computer found the Select 360 and added it to the desktop, and it works perfectly.

I want to go back now and try again on the B&W, although admittedly the beige is pretty much in every way a better computer at least as currently configured that I haven't been overly concerned about it.

What I'd really like to do now is be able to print to the printer from my Mac Pro on the other side of the room, although it may be beyond my OS 9 knowledge to make it happen. I have an ethernet cable connecting the two computers together and Appletak set to "active" on the Beige, but it can't find the printer. I'll tackle that when I have time. Most of my printing at work is done on the big Xerox upstairs(which does two sided, stapling, and hole punching) but it would be nice to be able to "proof" something without having to run upstairs(most of the time I end up taking my laptop up to the front office and doing my printing from in there) or also for when I just need one document.