serial q

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SMkdesigns, Aug 29, 2008.

1. SMkdesigns macrumors regular

if i have not turned my new macbook on yet will the serial number work on apples su pport warranty site

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes. The date of sale with the Serial Number was recorded at the time of Sale (to you at an Apple store, or to the Reseller).

TEG

4. SMkdesigns thread starter macrumors regular

i mean if i have not turned on the laptop to register it, so when i go to the support warranty area and i type in the serial i get an error.

my question is is that supposed to be from the day its purchased or the first time its turned on and registered to apple

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The retail info sometimes take awhile to update.

When you turn it on and make account it'll be registered.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Date of purchase

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually it is "Date of Sale from Apple". It is registered for Apple Care starting on the day that Apple sells it to you or one of its resellers.

TEG

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not true, mine is registered according to the date of sale to me. It sat at the retailer for about a month.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Maybe it depends on the retailer. When I bought mine it was registered from the day the system was delivered to the store (which was a week before I bought it), but it was a small reseller, not a big-box reseller.

TEG

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You should be able to correct the date of sale by providing Apple a copy of your receipt.

11. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

My Mac is in the database, but it returns the start date of coverage beginning more than four months before I purchased it from Amazon, so I question whether larger resellers that move lots of hardware send such information to Apple. The serial # isn't recorded on the invoice like I've seen small resellers do.

The date listed is about a month after it was manufactured, so it probably corresponds to the date the machine was sold or shipped to Amazon.

There are links on the Apple site to submit a missing serial #, or to correct a purchase date, but they require a proof-of-purchase to be faxed to Apple. Who still uses fax machines? I certainly don't have ready access to one.

I suppose I could scan it and e-fax it, or find some other way, but if I do need to invoke coverage, I'll always have my hardcopy receipt to show them. The only trouble I see is trying to get phone support since it thinks I'm outside the 90 day coverage period, but I would hope that the situation would be easy to explain/argue over the phone.